Price difference - ATP Promax vs Transcend SDHC cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Price difference - ATP Promax vs Transcend SDHC cards

I just got 2 MxM SDHC adapters for my EX1r and need to get some SDHC cards. I noticed a big difference in price between the ATP Promax 16GB ($85.00) vs Transcend 16GB ($38.19)
ATP Promax:
ATP 16GB 150X Pro Max Secure Digital High Capacity Card

Transcend:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674194-REG/Transcend_TS16GSDHC6_16GB_Class_6_SDHC.html
Are the ATP cards worth the extra money?

Or can anyone point me to a store that sells them for cheaper?

Thanks
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Major Player

If your new camera has the new firmware upgrade, I don't think getting the ATP ProMax cards will matter, as after I upgraded my EX3, I tested a 8GB Patriot SDHC card and a Centon 8GB card.....and they both had no "media errors" and recorded the full 26mins.

Both are class 6 and were gotten for my Nikon still camera. So I would stay with Transend and make sure you test out the cards before you shoot.

HTH....
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Major Player

There's a price difference because of the quality of the card. The EX1 firmware update seems to allow you to use the cheaper cards and that's cool. However I'm of the view that if I'm out doing a job that people are paying alot of money for, I'm not bothered about spending a little extra shooting onto a brand of card I have extensively tested and am happy with. We're not talking an SxS price jump, so it's still cheap.

Just as some people swear by the cheapest DV tape they can source, I just prefer to stick to a single brand of premium tape. Everything is consistent. I intend to keep the ATP cards as the only brand in all of my adaptors unless someone can demonstrate a very good reason why I shouldn't.
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Major Player

if you're a hobbyist then go with the Transcend card. if you're making money then go with the ATP. personally, i prefer the Sandisk Extreme cards cause before the recent firmware update i tested a few Transcend Class 6 cards and I received Media Errors on every attempt. So, even though the Transcend cards might work now, a little piece of me still thinks they might be less reliable then cards that didn't receive Media Errors before the update. there really isn't much logic in this i know, but hey, its my instinct. Can the Transcend cards over-crank to 60fps anyways? My Sandisk Extreme Class 10 allow me to shoot at 60fps. i've filled 2 cards 3 times without error.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
There's a price difference because of the quality of the card. The EX1 firmware update seems to allow you to use the cheaper cards and that's cool. However I'm of the view that if I'm out doing a job that people are paying alot of money for, I'm not bothered about spending a little extra shooting onto a brand of card I have extensively tested and am happy with.
That's a good point. I'm doing a lot of weddings and corporate gigs which are critical and I can't afford to lose footage.

If the ATP cards have proven to be more effective and long-lasting, then I will gladly pay the extra money for peace of mind.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

How about the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 which recommended by Sony ?
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It's more the quality of the cards than the particular firmware in the camera that makes all the difference. AND, that quality varies from brand to brand AND even batch to batch. The Transcends were considered very reliable for awhile, but some of the latest batches had trouble formating. That's why the ATPs are more expensive, and even more so for the Sony SxS... you simply get what you pay for (for the most part). I will do overcranking only on a Sony card. And make sure your slot light is Green before you press record. That's where lots of errors occur (pressing record when the light is still red...indicating the camera is still recording data). The more expensive cards record that data quicker and so the wait time is less than the slower cards.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuy Le View Post
How about the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 which recommended by Sony ?
did you skip my post???
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds