If you don't have express card adapter, how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Trustee

If you don't have express card adapter, how?

I just sold my EX1, more about that. But the buyer doesn't have an express card slot in his iMac. He was asking me if he could download XDCAM from the firewire, if it included that cable in the box and I honestly didn't know how to answer his question. There was a USB cable, component and composite video cables, but for my part I've always just stuck the SxS card into the slot in my laptop. Can someone answer?

(When I bought the new PMW-350K, I had planned on keeping the EX1, it's still a great cam and would mix beautifully, but I couldn't see myself going back to it, and only had one music gig planned for July where I might need multicams. With all the new cams coming out from Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Canon, and NAB next week I just felt it could be a good time to sell it, and it surely was, sold practically within minutes of posting it locally on CL.)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

1. Using the camera as reader with USB cable from camera to USB port on computer (expensive reader).
2. Cheaper solution: buy external Sony reader.

or buy a cheap PC laptop with 34 express card slot for reader and review the clips.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Tuy.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Major Player

He can try an inexpensive USB to Express Card Adapter. This is one of several brands:

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
He can try an inexpensive USB to Express Card Adapter. This is one of several brands:

Amazon.com: USB To Expresscard 34MM Adapter Ideal for Wireless Broadband Cards: Electronics

John

That adaptor won't work with SxS cards, only Express cards that use the USB bus like the MxM and MxR SDHC adaptors.
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

You can simply hook the camera to the USB 2 port in the mac.

It does not cost anything, the cable comes with the EX cam and the drivers etc are a free download.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

And if he shoots to SDHC card, he can simply use the SDHC <-> USB adapter and be golden. Cheaper media, cheaper adapter, same workflow.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Way good advice. Many thanks (to all).
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Loose USB connection

I bought my EX-1 used with only 18 hours on it. However, the USB connection is already loose. I am concerned about wearing out the USB connector (and also the component connection which feeds my SmallHd Dp-1 monitor) by x-fering all my SXS card footage via USB.

I did buy 2 Hoodman 16 gig cards/adapters so I can use a normal SDHC card reader.

I find it curious that a camera of this quality would have such feeble output connections.

Rob
Rob Lagerstrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds