Warm Card app for iPhone/iPods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Warm Card app for iPhone/iPods

Love this new app for White Balancing all my cameras---just came out. Cheap, too. http://itunes.apple.com/app/warm-cards/id365963351?mt=8
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Is this a Vortex Media Warm Cards app or is this a ripoff of Vortex media?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Major Player

The link doesn't show Vortex as the source, but warm cards have been around longer than the Vortex set so probably not an infringement.

The iPhone cards are however useless. I don't know what these guys were thinking, other than a quick buck from the uninformed.

The whole point of white balance cards, whether normal or warm, is to set the camera to the color of light on your subject. The screen on an iPhone has it's own light source that is not related to the color of your subject light source.

Have fun color correcting that shoot.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
The link doesn't show Vortex as the source, but warm cards have been around longer than the Vortex set so probably not an infringement.

The iPhone cards are however useless. I don't know what these guys were thinking, other than a quick buck from the uninformed.

The whole point of white balance cards, whether normal or warm, is to set the camera to the color of light on your subject. The screen on an iPhone has it's own light source that is not related to the color of your subject light source.

Have fun color correcting that shoot.
I was thinking the same thing. I can't believe that people are giving it a 5 star rating.
David Pryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Trustee

If they have figured out how to balance the screen color temperature to standard color temperatures like Tungsten and daylight then it could be a very neat trick. Might have to wait for my Ipad so it will be a bigger screen.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Major Player

with an led (back)light device, how does the spectrum effect the white balancing one would get?
i mean if it is just leaning the temp one way and the other, anything that leans the temps the way you desire would do the trick of setting the temp.
but if any inclusion of RGB balancing is YET done in the cameras during a manuel white balance the crasy spectrum of the "white" led lighting would set the colors so crasy it would be hard to fix in post even. (unless your shooting under similar Led Lighting)

Do any of the new digital 3 chip cameras "white balance Set" account for the spectrum of the lighting to its RGB input YET? or do they still only alter the "temperatures" ?

Last edited by Marty Welk; April 10th, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Vortex Media

As George says, it's a stupid idea for the uninformed. There's a sucker born every minute.

To set a correct white balance, you have to white balance on the reflected light from the location where you are shooting. How can you do that off of a internally backlit screen? You can't. White balancing off a backlit screen is ridiculous and shows a complete ignorance of the purpose of white balancing.

On the other hand, WarmCards can be used effectively to warm the image because they reflect the ACTUALl light where you're shooting . . . and then warm it up a bit by tricking the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds