New EX1-R users: your reports of ability to perform a feathered very slow zoom? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New EX1-R users: your reports of ability to perform a feathered very slow zoom?

I'm considering buying this camera and would use it for interviews and B roll a large amount of the time. My interviews usually involve studio type lighting and an almost imperceptible zoom in or out.

I just came from the NAB but the display camera stuttered on a very slow zoom using the hand grip rocker switch. I then disengaged the zoom servo and put the zoom on manual. The play in the zoom ring did not allow me to do a feathered zoom with my fingers and the gear ratio hand turning it was quite high...defeating my goal of getting something very slow.

Has anyone had success with this? Does the zoom rocker on the top handle have any advantage in trying to do a feathered very slow zoom...without the stutter? I know you can program in a "shot transition," but in reading the manual this will not work with a zoom speed of less than 20...if you go lower than that number, the shot transition will then go from "soft--easing in/out" mode to "linear"--a more abrupt start/stop.

I have read of stuttering zoom issues across this board...but it seems that it is sporadic and random...some owners have it on a recurring basis...and other owners have never experienced it.

I was wondering if the more recent buyers of the EX1-R were having the same issue...or perhaps there have been refinements to the zoom servos in the production line and perhaps newer models may not have the issue?

It would be great to hear from owners who have bought this camera in the last few months...and see what their findings are. This is important to me as it would be a significant factor in the kind of work that I do.

I know about the various third party zoom controllers but am hoping for an in camera solution.

Many thanks for any advice you can share...

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I played with the rocker zoom a little today, It's okay, in my experience, but I'm used to old ENG broadcast, SD, shoulder cams which had a better feel for modulating the initiating and speed.

Maybe you need a remote\add on controller.
Nathan Swinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

There definitely are issues with the EX lenses, some are great and some do stutter.

Sony replaced one for me on an EX3 and now it works very well.

My new EX1R (last December) is not as smooth, but it is acceptable for a $6,000.00 camera.

I would definitely buy from a dealer that will allow you to try the camera and replace it if it is not smooth.

It is not a $20,000.00 lens so don't expect it to behave like one, but for a cheap HD lens it is very good.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasey View Post
My interviews usually involve studio type lighting and an almost imperceptible zoom in or out.

John
Many of the purpose built Fujinon lenses (HD or SD) have a multi position knob at the rear of the handle, next to the start/stop button that allows you to vary the zoom speed. I have had those types of lenses on various cameras in the past and I could not be without one.

You will really need one of those to achieve what you are after, especially so slow and every single time. The EX1r might not be for you, but the EX3 can have very nice 1/2 inch HD lenses attached, such as a Fujinon XS or similar.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the libec to control zoom on my EX3 and have found it very smooth. The rocker on the lens less so. I am not disappointed with the performance when hand held its just is not as slow or smooth. That could have something to do with my old body though. Hate to think that is the problem...
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Any reason why you couldn't just do a small zoom out in post by starting in a lil bit zoomed then keyframe out? Just wondering as if it's so small an imperceptible, it'd be easier to just do so in post.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #7
New Boot

I use the libec to control zoom on my EX3 and have found it NOT smooth.
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Trustee

Not as good as my EX1

My EX1-R stutters, enough to ween me off slow creep zooms.

In my case, using a separate zoom controller (a Bebob Zoe) does not help.

I do need to send my camera in for some work, as I get audio noise when the LCD panel is 'stowed', and I will point out firmly that the zoom is NOT acceptable when compared to my EX1, and it appears to be 'sticktion', in that when it stops, then starts, the start is a sudden jolt which then eases off. I have numerous clips to demonstrate with.

Maybe EX1Rs are like Manfrotto tripods a while back. The BBC would go shopping for a few, and send somebody down to try literally dozens, from which they'd select the ones that worked to specification.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I just shot a wedding over the weekend with my new Ex1r, and there is indeed a major problem the servo zoom and stuttering. It performed flawlessly for the first 3 - 4 hours, but then the problem manifested itself when I was shooting a photo session in a park under the hot sun. I was giving the zoom rocker a pretty good work out as I was constantly zooming to frame shots. At one point the zoom became almost completely useless.

I'm not sure if heat has anything do with it, but the problem seemed to subside when I moved back to shooting indoors.

Will Sony fix this problem for free? Can it be done by a local service center or does the camera have to be shipped back to Sony?
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds