DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   using XDCAM Transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/476933-using-xdcam-transfer.html)

Ed Kukla April 16th, 2010 05:00 AM

using XDCAM Transfer

I have a client that is all FCP. They own an EX-1. They are using XDCAM Transfer for moving clips to drives. I had been under the impression that Clip Browser was preferred. Seems that XDCT is faster. Are there any issues for them in using XDCT instead of Clip Browser??

Also, they were not able to make the Sony SxS card reader work with SDHC cards in an adapter. Is that normal?

Colin Rowe April 16th, 2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1515014)
Also, they were not able to make the Sony SxS card reader work with SDHC cards in an adapter. Is that normal?

Afraid so.

Andrew Stone April 16th, 2010 07:31 AM

Have them use a standard SD carder reader.

Ed Kukla April 16th, 2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1515056)
Have them use a standard SD carder reader.

they did use a usb-sd reader

Craig Seeman April 16th, 2010 08:42 AM

ClipBrowser with CRC to copy files.
XDCAM Transfer to wrap to MOV.

If they go straight to MOV, they have no Camera Master once the cards are erased. If the files are corrupted during the re-wrap they are in major trouble once the cards are erased.

Olof Ekbergh April 16th, 2010 11:21 AM

Craig, have you ever had a .mov corrupted?

I never have. In well over a 1000 maybe more like 3000 clips transferred using XDCAM transfer.

Craig Seeman April 16th, 2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1515189)
Craig, have you ever had a .mov corrupted?

I never have. In well over a 1000 maybe more like 3000 clips transferred using XDCAM transfer.

Nope. Not ever. I wouldn't want to experience the first time on a camera master though without BPAV backed up.

On the other hand have you ever handed anyone an XDCAM EX MOV file who didn't have Final Cut Pro?

Olof Ekbergh April 16th, 2010 05:04 PM

If I have a job where I have to hand off files to PC users, I give the BPAV and support files or I will include transcoding in the price. I have done this a few times. QT uncompressed is a good though big standard, that pretty much anyone can read, as is the animation codec. Some people even just want a .mpg.

Most of the time I just shoot and hand of files, HDcam tapes etc. it is to people with Macs. A lot of them shoot EX themselves. I end up uploading H.264 files at times, very easy from .movs.

I often have cpu's running all night transcoding. I have even delivered some EX footage on HDV tape, because it is the "only HD we handle".

Shaun R Walker April 20th, 2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1515228)
Nope. Not ever. I wouldn't want to experience the first time on a camera master though without BPAV backed up.

On the other hand have you ever handed anyone an XDCAM EX MOV file who didn't have Final Cut Pro?

Umm...yes. With disastrous results I might add. But that was when I first got my EX-1 and knew nothing about codecs and wrappers

Ed Kukla April 22nd, 2010 04:06 PM

shaun
can you elaborate on what happened?