SxS vs. NanoFlash vs. ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SxS vs. NanoFlash vs. ???

I am shooting a big project this summer with the Ex1r in 1080p24.

Is the nanoflash my only option for 4:2:2? How affordable is it in the rental realm as buying one might drive up the cost of my production beyond budget.

Thanks for all your help to whoever replies.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Could you not buy one then sell it at the end of the production? I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers.
You'll get 422 out of the Panasonic HPX370, but the cost is probably equal to that of the EX1 and nano.
There is something from AJA Ki Pro Recorder - AJA Video Systems but I don't know much about it, or price.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

4:2:2 Ex Recording

I own an AJA KI PRO and it works flawlessly with my EX3. With it, I am able to push the colors further in post and I've noticed that my DVD's look better. Also, since it records ProResHQ, it makes ingesting and editing a snap.

I've not compared the footage from a Nanoflash to the KI PRO but I'm sure that either one will boost the quality of the already excellent footage.
Daniel Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Major Player

About the nanoflash: I couldn't tell if it will record simple XDcamEX at 35kbps, just like on the SxS cards. None of the specs I saw had that info. Sometimes the standard EX file is fine, but I just want more record time.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

About the nanoflash: I couldn't tell if it will record simple XDcamEX at 35kbps, just like on the SxS cards. None of the specs I saw had that info. Sometimes the standard EX file is fine, but I just want more record time.

My research indicates that the nanoflash will record at 100kbps @ 4:2:2. That would be quite an improvement over SxS.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Rick,

Yes rental houses in general are getting nanoFlash units in the larger markets. If you are looking for specs I would first check the nanoFlash forum here...

Convergent Design nanoFlash Forum at DVinfo.net

You will get quick answers to your questions from both nanoFlash users and the people who manufacture and sell the unit. You will get accurate responses on the suitability of the product and not just marketing hype.

Second place to go is the Convergent-Design website and download the nanoFlash manual. The site itself has lots of useful info...

Manuals | Support | Convergent Design

If it is a project to be filmed over a period of weeks purchasing it is probably the route to go. With all the cards, mounts and cables it is less than the cost of a prosumer camera. Learning curve is short on the unit but you will want to get it before you shoot to become comfortable with setting it up and the workflow involved.

The KiPro is an attractive unit and is probably suitable for the kind of "set" based shooting you will be doing. Remember larger storage requirements with KiPro files and check to ensure there current firmware has the frame rates you require for your shoot. The KiPro is more expensive but it is a different unit with different features so you will have to decide which is better for what you want to achieve and your workflow requirements.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I looked at the FAQ on the nanoflash and it looks like it does do 35kbps XDCAMEX. I am aware that the image is nicer at higher bitrates. But sometimes that's not too important, and I just want more record time and smaller files than 50 or 100kbps for simple but long rinnig projects like a seminar. But overall the NanoFlash looks very sweet. I think it even said I can do overcranking at 1080p30, which is awesome.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds