just ordered Hoodman EX-1 KIT PRO; now... which shoulder mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Major Player

just ordered Hoodman EX-1 KIT PRO; now... which shoulder mount?

Hi all,
(just tried to send this, and it didn't get through; will try again. Sorry if it appears twice)
I just ordered a Hoodman EX-1 KIT PRO, on the advice of many EX-1 users on this forum. Now that I'll be using my camera higher up (so I can peer through this thing and actually focus in bright sunlight), can people who use them kindly recommend the best shoulder-mount system/hardware?
Please steer me away from anything that doesn't work well. I'd like something that allows me to go handheld comfortably, and allows for lots of camera movement. I like to tip my camera sometimes; I would also want to disengage, so I can hold the camera down next to the ground (for a walking shot or whatever).
Need to stay flexible, and not fill up the back of my car with hard-to-transport hardware.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Try my system:
Westside A V Studios WEB Store

If you don't like it I will give you a 100% refund. It is modular and can be used with or without the long brace.

I recommend the Hoodloop for this system.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Trustee

I have Olof's extra support plate and shoulder mount for my EX3. I have not tried his system for the EX1(r) but I'm sure it is made with the same care and precision as the EX3 system. Very light, well made and comfortable. A huge improvement.

No matter what I would definitely recommend getting the beefed up tripod plate. It not only helps to reinforce the weakest link to your sticks, it also gives a much better range of mounting locations to balance out the camera's CG.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Malcolm -

With what you describe that you want to do with your camera during shooting, you cannot go wrong with Olof's system. I have an EX1 with attached Nanoflash and am very happy with his system. I use the HoodLoupe all the time and his system allows you to use it with the most comfort and "natural feel" of any of the other shoulder mount systems out there.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I second Barry. Olof's solution is great per se, and can also be mounted as a whole on any other rig (including other shoulder mounts).

So, you cannot go wrong with it!
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks everyone, for your advice. I've just emailed Olof, and will pursue this off-forum.
It's so great to be able to get help and advice on forums like this. I truly think they're the best thing about the internet.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Your stuff is very reasonably priced! I will certainly look to you first for a shoulder mount.

Thanks for sharing.
Kyle McConaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Olof... I was looking at that and am seriously considering it.

Can the end of the shoulder brace be pulled in so that it makes firm contact with the back of the shooter instead of hanging a few inches further behind?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm not Olof, but I can tell you the "small" shoulder pad this rig comes with (to which the "long" brace is attached) is enough for most scenarios.

As to the long brace as depicted in Olof's post above, it can easily be bent down so that it doesn't hang behind. You have to consider some place for your winter (thicker) garment, though.

Well, not in Hawaii, perhaps :)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
You have to consider some place for your winter (thicker) garment, though.

Well, not in Hawaii, perhaps :)
Piotr.... Yep. "Winter clothing" here in Hawaii is a long-sleeved t-shirt. Not much thicker than summer fashions. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds