Multi-Cam Shoot Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Multi-Cam Shoot Advice

We have a huge Cinco de Mayo event coming up shortly and we want to use 2-3 cameras. We have an EX1 and I am trying to decide between the EX1-R, EX3 and possibly, the PMW 350. At the moment, lensrentals.com is by far the least expensive for the EX1-R and EX3 so I would need some convincing on the 350.

Besides the obvious accessories (extra SxS cards, batteries, tripods), what else would/should we rent?

We will start shooting in the middle of the event, so what is the best way to sync the cameras together? What option is there to use the EX3's genlock via wireless?

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Trustee

I wouldn't worry about sync for that kind of shooting. Unless this is a very unusually boring Cinco de Mayo event, there should be little question about which video goes with which. If two (or three) cameras are shooting the same thing, it should be easy to sync the clips using the sound tracks. And if you have a clip from some other place, you can treat it as "wild" B-roll.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Well, I plan on recording wireless from the stage mixer using the Sony plug-on transmitter, and then possibly using my NTG 3 and NTG 2 for crowd and ambient sound. However, I am worried that I will have phase issues.
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Phase issues is a completely different matter and has little to do with sync. Where do you expect to have phase issues? Nothing about your descriptions suggested that audio phase might be a problem.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Trustee

Recording straight from the stage mixer and then being 50 ft or so away and recording using shotgun mic's on the camera. The shotguns will be xx milliseconds behind the audio from the stage mixer. However, I should be able to fix it in post now that I think about it.
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Major Player

I keep on meaning to try this for multi-camera shoots:

Singular Software

Looks like it could save lots of time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds