DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   does the "slot switch" function work with SDHC cards? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/477519-does-slot-switch-function-work-sdhc-cards.html)

Federico Perale April 24th, 2010 01:42 PM

does the "slot switch" function work with SDHC cards?

that is,,,,when one card is full, the EX1r moves to the second slot

I know this is a feature that works fine with SXS cards, but has someone tried it when using two adaptors with SDHC cards?
thx
Fed

Craig Seeman April 24th, 2010 02:01 PM

Yes. I allow it switch all the time with my EX1 and it always works. Make sure you have good quality SDHC cards that have been vetted by others and test yourself. I run through the cards end to end (slot switch included) a couple of times before using the cards.

Federico Perale April 24th, 2010 02:12 PM

"I run through the cards end to end (slot switch included) a couple of times before using the cards."

what do you mean?

Craig Seeman April 24th, 2010 02:24 PM

Put in two 32GB SDHC cards and record about 4 hours straight. I erase the cards and do it again. End to end none stop.

Tuy Le April 24th, 2010 08:00 PM

... need to let it plays (read) for about 3 minutes each card.
I have 2 cards which recorded thru twice, but failed after 3 minutes reading (play).
So you will need to test out the write (record) & read (play the clip) before use it on the real job :-)

Garrett Low April 24th, 2010 09:22 PM

I've got MxR and Hoodman addapters I use with Sankisk cl10 and Patriot cl6 16GB cards on my EX3. After updating to the latest firmware they all work flawlessly with allowing the camera to switch when it reaches a full card or me manually pushing the slot change button. With the Sandisk cl10 cards the playback and write stop write times almost approach my SxS card times.

Garrett

Frank Casanova April 25th, 2010 05:00 PM

I would only allow an automatic Slot Switch if I have no choice...such as recording a sporting event or a long speech, etc. It is much better to decide when you want to switch slots and then do it manually. Your editor will love you for not having one clip spread over two cards. Never had a problem with my SDHC cards.

Richard Crowley April 25th, 2010 07:49 PM

I agree with Mr. Casanova. It is a hassle to deal with the Sony Clip Viewer when a running clip crosses over to a new medium (SxS or SDHC). I would much rather "call the shot" myself. I've been burned by the Clip Viewer getting confused, and I'd rather avoid it altogether.

But in answer to the original question, yes my EX1 auto-switches from an SDHC in one slot to an SDHC in the other slot.

Michael B. McGee April 27th, 2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Casanova (Post 1519302)
I would only allow an automatic Slot Switch if I have no choice...such as recording a sporting event or a long speech, etc. It is much better to decide when you want to switch slots and then do it manually. Your editor will love you for not having one clip spread over two cards. Never had a problem with my SDHC cards.

Yeah, I've been really impressed with my Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards. they're the best cards i've tested/worked with. i am tempted to try the Transcend Class 10 card since its half the price of a Sandisk card.

Mark Savage May 1st, 2010 10:41 AM

Michael, I mostly use ATP's now, but I have four of the new Class 10 Transcends, too, and they've been flawless.

I have never had problems with the class 6 Transcends, either -- probably because I got the earlier batches.