XLR adapter down to the dc input on the EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #1
New Boot

XLR adapter down to the dc input on the EX3?

Hi there. I'm a newbie to the EX3 and am wondering if there is an adapter that necks down to the input connector from XLR to something that will fit the DC In on the EX3?
I was thinking about getting a batt belt but they all seem to have XLR outs.
Like I say I'm a newbie and do not know too much at all about where to get parts (what they are called as well) and what not yet. Or if they even exist.
Thanks in advance for any and all help rendered.
Greg Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I made my own, but Doug has a nice one here:

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you very much! Just what the doctor ordered!
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #4
New Boot

Okay I guess that will bring me to another question.
I see a LOT of Bescor belts around and NRG as well but when I went to B&H the NRG belts are all discontinued. Any recommendations on a Bescor belt that will run the EX3 all (8/10 hours) day?
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Major Player

I like having a V-mount battery instead of a belt, so I bought the Bebob Coco adapter. It has several Hirose connectors, a D-tap, and comes with a cable to connect to the EX3's DC-in. It also makes the camera heavier in the back, thus giving more stability during handheld shots.

0620090816a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's a little pricey, however http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/591419-REG/Bebob_Engineering_BE_COCO_EX3_V_COCO_EX3_V_V_Mount_Battery_Adapter.html
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I used belts for years, from the time of U-matic portables and tube cameras. Belts are heavy and cumbersome. The only reason I could think of to use one today would be if I had to continuously shoot for hours and hours somewhere without AC power. Could happen of course, but otherwise I'm really happy with Sony's batteries: light, long-lasting and charge fairly fast. I take three and a charger and off I go.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #7
New Boot

Well my reason is that I'll be in the back of nowhere and recharging may not be an option at least not whenever I please.
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've been to the back of nowhere a couple of times so I know what you mean. I've employed a couple of solutions: First, I've charged my small batteries from vehicles and from car batteries. I've also used solar panels (never to my satisfaction, I might add). I've also bought more batteries and charged them all before I left. Just easier to have a fistful of little batteries than a single big one you have to lug around.
Actually, there is one situation where I still use a belt. That's when I need portable light rather than camera power. But soon I'll get an LED instrument and then the belt retires.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I second the motion on using on-board batteries. I record long form (2 hours or more) events all the time in my role managing a private school web site, some events go all day and I've used the Sony BP-U60 for the EX3 and the BP-U30 for the hard-drive unit, a PHU-60K without exhausting them. This next budget cycle, I will be buying the Switronix EX-L96 96 watt Lithium-Ion battery as it has 96 watts to the BP-U60's 56 watts. I see it is at B&H for $284.95 compared to the BP-U60's price of $249.95. The extra capacity seems worth it to me. I also have a Z90 LED light that I love and I bought the battery that they offer for it.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks gents.
I'll out of range from the vehicle for a lot of the time so using it as a recharge station will be problematic.
I had been researching the solar option. For what you are getting they still seem a bit steep price wise.
Thanks for the input! Most appreciated from a noobie to all this.
Greg Charest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds