DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   In and Out of Africa (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/477616-out-africa.html)

Vincent Oliver April 26th, 2010 03:50 AM

In and Out of Africa

Here is a short movie that I created using the Sony EX3 camera. Quality has been reduced for smaller file size. The film lasts for 14 minutes (outside the limites for YouTube and Vimeo etc,) so I have placed it on my own site.

Africa House Safaris

Jim Forrest April 26th, 2010 11:38 AM

Beautifully done. I can tell that was a long shoot. I especially like the giraffe video.
Was all shot with available light? I assume you wanted to travel relatively light.
Audio off shotgun only?

Very nice piece

Vincent Oliver April 26th, 2010 11:52 AM

Yes, all shot with available light and many of the shots were hand held for speed. I did take a Rode mike with me but never used it. Most of the sound was captured with the built in EX3 mike, although I did do a couple of wild track recordings using a Sony PCM-D50 (the bird twitter heard at the begining) The PCM-D50 is a very good recorder but you can't use it outside, the stereo mikes will pick up the slightest of breezes. The bird recording was made from within my room to cut down on wind rumble etc.

It was always my intention to lay down a music track and voice over, so the ambient sounds had to be kept to a minimum. Audio was edited using Adobe Audition 2

Erik Phairas April 26th, 2010 06:57 PM

it's loading VERY slow but what part I was able to watch looked really nice! That must have been an incredible trip!

Jem Moore April 26th, 2010 07:43 PM

Great work Vincent! You got some amazing shots, and carried the story and purpose really well. I thought the elephant herd shots were crystal clear, you could see every wrinkle. It's nice to see what the EX3 can do. Again, excellent job. BTW, I went ahead and purchased the 193 for my travels, and took off the mike holder as you suggested, and it's working great.

Jem

Vincent Oliver April 27th, 2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Phairas (Post 1519937)
it's loading VERY slow but what part I was able to watch looked really nice! That must have been an incredible trip!

The file is quite large but should stream OK, as this is a new item there is a large demand being made on my server, you may find it faster at different times.

Andy Wilkinson April 27th, 2010 02:47 AM

Vincent. I congratulate you. Stunning stuff and great voice over by that guy (as already noted on another thread). I too loved the giraffe shots near the end! Loads just fine (on my typically anywhere between 2 to 6Mbps Broadband connection - kids all at school so nearer 6!).

Vincent Oliver April 27th, 2010 03:15 AM

Thanks Andy, the production was great fun but lots of hard work. One bonus - it got me out of doing the Christmas shopping - I returned on December 24th :-)

Zsolt Gordos April 28th, 2010 02:45 PM

Wow, very nice Vincent - congratulations!

Bob Jackson April 28th, 2010 07:51 PM

Great video.
Was looking forward to seeing it after looking at the stills.
Thanks

Vincent Oliver April 29th, 2010 12:35 AM

Thank you Bob and Zsolt,

I shot stacks of video footage for the assignment, and as with many other jobs the vast majority ended up on the cutting room floor. This was due to editorial control by the client, i.e. they needed to show off the accomodation etc. I f I get some spare time I will put together another cut, it will be my version without any other influence.

Am working on another two DVDs at the moment (different subjects).