Mattebox question: Genus et al - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr,

The one that redrock suggest? Yeah maybe it was but It was all so fiddly. I was also so conscious of the LCD having to be out all the time!
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Darren,

Any chance you can post pics of your EX1 and Genus mattebox setup?

Thanks,
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,

Ordered it only a couple of days ago so eagerly waiting it's arrival! The deal is very good with those 3 filters thrown in!
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Darren!

I don't have an EX1R yet, but I'm looking into all the options of kitting it up. (I recently did buy Doug Jensen's tutorial DVDs, and that's a great resource! It's a start at least :)

Would your Genus mattebox fit with a 35mm adaptor? I guess you'll need longer support rods for the additional length that the adaptor and lens gives you.

Best,
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Darren,

Would this be the B and H equivalent that you ordered?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673277-REG/Genus_GMKULT_77_Ultimate_Matte_Box_Kit.html
Best,
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Looks like it Jeff.

See if you can order from Genus direct as you get a grad, an ND 9 and a circular polarizor!
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #22
Major Player

For what I do most times, I have found I do not need a matte box. I keep a screw-on UV filter on my EX3, and I sometimes switch to an ND or circular polarizer as needed. What I have found I need oftentimes is a French flag. So I affixed a cold shoe to the lens hood, to which I can mount this flag...

Universal French Flag

I do not have it on the camera when it is not needed. It's clunky, and if I don't tighten it properly, it slips into the shot.

But when I need it, it's sure nice to have it.

0428001353 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Ruddock View Post
See if you can order from Genus direct as you get a grad, an ND 9 and a circular polarizor!
And by the way, you can also add a rails system for your favourite DSLR setup too. A lot of my outdoor GVs (where ND Grads and polas become essential, as are sunshades) are shifting over to my 550D.

The only thing they don't supply, which I didn't know existed before I watched the Philip Bloom training DVD, was (and I quote) 'Nun's Knickers', though I haven't experienced a need for such apparel with an EX1.

Just a note from the trenches though - if you use the push-to-fit adaptor with the Genus on your EX1 with the 0.6 wide, you will need to ensure that the matte box is on perfectly straight and won't shift. It's a critical adjustment that's caught me out once (leaping into ditches filming a coach IIRC). Rails will prevent that from happening at the cost of extra bulk.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #24
Major Player

I have the Genus on my Canon 7D, on rods (Red Rock rods by the way). Quality is good, but the screws for the stages are not as smooth as the ones on my Vocas matteboxes, but that one more then double the price... The holes for the rods are attached with a screw witch you have to tighten once a month.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Ordered it only a couple of days ago so eagerly waiting it's arrival! The deal is very good with those 3 filters thrown in!
Hey Darren, I too would like to see your rig when you get it all assmebled. The Genus is starting to sound like a very good candidate for me. The option of adding the rails later is also a handy way of keeping the initial cost down somewhat.

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions.
Dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
The only thing they don't supply, which I didn't know existed before I watched the Philip Bloom training DVD, was (and I quote) 'Nun's Knickers', though I haven't experienced a need for such apparel with an EX1.
What a hoot! They actually advertise it with that description:

Genus Universal Donut Nun's Knickers

dave
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #27
Major Player

Can anybody tell me the difference between this Genus:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544775-REG/Genus_GWMC77K_GCM_77_Matte_Box_with.html

and this Genus?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544777-REG/Genus_GMKBAS77K_GMKBAS_77_Basic_Matte_Box.html
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hi,

We have just ordered the Genus. It does com with a rails setup too and in this package 3 filters!....

Genus Ultimate Matte Box Kit

We originally purchased a Redrock. It was a great looking mattebox but I wouldn't recommend it for the EX1. I could not get it to not vignette and I took all the advice offered on the Redrock forum.

I think the Genus will do the job. If Matt Davis likes it it will do me!
Darren,

Please report to us in detail when you have tested this solution. What I'm afraid of is that - while the RR mattebox has a tendency to vignette with the EX1 even though it uses 16:9 format (4x5.65" filters) - the square filters of the Genus might pose even more problems.

Of course, I might be mistaken - but I'd do with some hands-on feedback from you :)

TIA,

Piotr
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I can't answer that one. Hopefully not!

Matt can probably give us the answer for that!????
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Vincent which Vocas matte box are you using? I checked them out a NAB and was impressed with the weight and different options.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds