DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Need advice - which mattebox to choose for EX1R? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/478445-need-advice-mattebox-choose-ex1r.html)

Thomas Schwenger May 10th, 2010 03:22 PM

Need advice - which mattebox to choose for EX1R?

Switching from DSLR shooting with screw-on filters to the EX1, I'm currently in the market for a matte box. I've read a lot in the forums about the diverse matte boxes but have no personal experience with these things, so I'd like to ask you for your advice.

My primary use would be landscape (with occasionally use of a WA adapter), so I think 2 rotating stages (1 for ND,1 for pola) would be good. Furthermore I'm a one man band, so I'd like to travel light, which excludes for me all boxes that need rail support.

In my research, I found the Chrosziel CMB-R20 on top of my short list, followed by the Genus wide angle ultimate kit (that comes with 3 4x4 filters), that can also be used on my DSLR. All these matte boxes are around 600-900 EUR, to give you an idea about my budget.

What is your opinion, what else can you recommend?

Vincent Rozenberg May 10th, 2010 03:58 PM

I recommend you to read this tread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...nus-et-al.html

Roddy Jamieson May 10th, 2010 04:28 PM

CMB R20 is fine but you may have vignetting with a WA adapter. I use it on my EX3, fine with standard lens but I have the Fuji Wide lens and have to remove the outer filter holder as it catches the edge of frame.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew Stone May 10th, 2010 10:54 PM

Thomas,

Get a mattebox that does both clamp on and rails. You WILL want a rails system probably sooner than you imagine. You live in Europe so the True Lens System matteboxes are a good choice. They are light and the value is very good. Chrozseil is the gold standard of matteboxes for video work but there are lots of comparable products on the market and the Genus/TLS mattebox is one and they TLS matteboxes are cheaper.

Having 2 rotating stages is considered luxury by most shooters. Having one fixed and one rotating is most common. Some companies like Vocas offer the ability to add stages of varying types and the Vocas matteboxes are made of carbon fibre so they are super light. They are also a bit more expensive.

Concluding, I wouldn't blow your brains out on a mattebox. They are generally overpriced for what they do. If you look at photo stills from motion picture sets you will see a lot of cameras using cheap blackwrap and foam core for ersatz matteboxes. Obviously you need a mattebox to hold a polarizer or an ND filter but many tasks a mattebox was used for can now be done easily in post.

Thomas Schwenger May 11th, 2010 12:35 PM

Vincent:
I read this thread, and the comment from Doug Jensen seemed convincing that 2 stages are good for my shooting needs, so the Chrosziel came on my short list.

Roddy:
Good point! I rarely use the WA converter, so this might not be too big of an issue to me.

Andrew:
I share your thoughts and think of a matte box more as of a filter holder with a french flag, so I don't want to spend a fortune on that. The TLS seem promising although in the the same price region as the CMB R20. Unfortunately I can't figure out any distributor close to me to check them.

BTW how do you handle shooting with a grad ND and a polarizer the same time with only one rotating stage, assuming that the line between sky and horizon isn't always level?

Dave Chalmers May 11th, 2010 04:08 PM

Have a look at Vocas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Schwenger (Post 1525343)
Switching from DSLR shooting with screw-on filters to the EX1, I'm currently in the market for a matte box. I've read a lot in the forums about the diverse matte boxes but have no personal experience with these things, so I'd like to ask you for your advice.

What is your opinion, what else can you recommend?

Thomas we went for the Vocas MB210 for our EX3 - does the job fine and is a LOT cheaper and lighter than some of the alternatives.

Dave

Boyd Ostroff May 13th, 2010 04:00 PM

I got the Century/Schneider wide angle mattebox and have been really happy with it. I also like the folding shoulder support for handheld use:

DVMB W/A KIT 15MM SUPPORT EX1 - Schneider Optics

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563681-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0DS_MB44_WEX_0DS_MB44_WEX_4x4_DV_Matte.html

It's not cheap, but is really well made and is part of a system that works with all of their adaptor lenses as well. This is the same product that Dave mentions (Vocas 210) sold in the US by Schneider, but it also includes their rails and shoulder support. I would be a little concerned about using a mattebox without the rails, although they do add to the cost and weight. But you are hanging a lot off those little threads on the lens otherwise - especially with a heavy wide angle adaptor in the mix. One good bump and you could do permanent damage.

I am also currently shooting landscapes by myself, and found a nice bag from Tamrac that holds my EX1 with the MatteBox and WA lens attached. I'm using the Century/Schneider .75x wide adaptor and it works fine with the setup without vignetting. But you can only use a filter holder one of the stages with the WA lens or you will have some vignetting.

Oliver Neubert May 15th, 2010 03:30 AM

Thomas

I use a Petroff Mattebox and chose one to work with my Century Wide adapter. I also took all 3 Flags Top and side because I often film stage stuff where they sometimes place nasty sidelights.
I believe Petroff Matteboxes are modular and you can add or remove filterstages if you need to. I always keep my Mattebox on the camera, I use the rails to hold on to when focusing and panning.

The Baseplate and my rails are Zacuto and I am very happy with both. Actually I have 2 Baseplates on top of each other, one from vf gadgets because it makes use of all the 3 screws at the bottom of the camera. and the Zacuto plate.
Zacuto makes excellent products - unfortunately they are VERY expensive - Too expensive for what it is but I have not found any other comparable product and cannot make it myself...
There probably is some high quality product out there, which is much less expensive but the makers don't spend as much on marketing...