EX1R- Focus Ring mislatches in Full Manual at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Tourist

EX1R- Focus Ring mislatches in Full Manual

Hello all,

My wife and I are independent video artist ( for the lack of better word) .
After three years of pondering and researching, we finally bit the bullet and purchased EX1r. From the little shooting we have done so far, we can see the images are very clean and we are very pleased with the image quality. However there is one thing I noticed that I wanted to ask the EX1, EX1r owners about your experience, which is about the focus ring.

When pulling the focus ring from AF/MF to Full Manual mode, sometimes focus ring does not seem to latch on correctly. When this happens, I can still rotate focus ring, but there is noticeable difference. Instead of the 'smooth with slight drag' feeling, it gets rather coarse and harder to rotate. It still focuses, but the rotation does not feel right. When it happens, It feels like a cheap plastic lens that lacks ball bearing inside. I am not 100% certain, but I feel I can even hear two pieces of plastic sliding against each other. Is this something I should be concerned about ?? Or, is this something over period of time, it gets 'broken-in' and becomes a non-issue ?? I can't reliably repeat this behavior. It happens every now and then, say about 1 out of 10. Does this sound familiar ???

As this was a pretty expensive purchase for us, I'd like to sort out any issues as soon as possible before the 15 day return/exchange period expires with B&H.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies.

Luka Kito
Luka Kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd move that focus ring back and forth a LOT in the next few days. I'd pay attention to how the ring feels as you heavily exercise this thing. I've never felt that this was a smooth moving part on my EX1. Sometimes it feels like it will take more effort than it should when I try to move it. I too wish that it had a smoother friction "slip/slide" feeling instead of the current notchy/clunky movement that it has. Good luck with it, but I doubt that it will suddenly fix itself. Do you know anybody else near you with an EX1r where you can compare the fit and feel of the focus rings?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Tourist

Seems better now

Thank you for your reply. I did exactly what you have suggested. Moving the ring back and forth quite a bit for the last couple of days. It seems something got 'fixed' so far that I have not been able to recreate the strange 'coarse' friction feel at all. I will continue to do so to make sure this is now working properly, I am keeping my fingers crossed, as return/exchange is a pain.

thank you

Luka Kito
Luka Kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Good luck with it and let us all know if it eventually fails.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds