Back Focus ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Back Focus ?

I have never experienced this but have to ask a stupid question.

Can you have back focus issues if you only use Manual focus.
I know dslr's have had issues before but seemed that it was always using auto focus.
I am hoping that what you are seeing in the viewfinder is what is being recorded. If not I want to do some test more often to make sure this is not an issue.

Sorry if this is really a stupid questions, just seeing lots on this topic and hard to believe so many use Auto Focus.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In all my years, I had never ever ever used Auto Focus.... UNTIL I got my EX1. It's really good. And it saved my buns a few times when the action was too fast for me to catch up or subject would change positions quickly without warning. Love this camera.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Back focus issues could occur while using manual or auto focus but would be more noticeable using manual focus depending on how quickly the auto focus adjusts. Since back focus is the inability of the lens to keep focus while changing focal lengths (zooming in or out) it really has nothing to do with manual vs. auto focus. You just may not notice it as much when using auto focus if you're not zooming too quickly and the auto focus can keep up with adjustments.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Denny,
Its not a stupid question and the answer is absolutely yes you can have back focus issues on any camera mainly with zoom lenses, and more with manual focus . I'm afraid I don't have the energy to explain the entire issue here again, but if you research back posts and you do some web research googling back focus then you'll be able to educate yourself about this very basic optical issue . Every cameraman should understand it. It has been a problem with EX-1s and is a persistent problem with EX-3's everytime the lens is changed.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I thought the Ex3 "remembered" the settings of each lens ie standard and the Fuji wide angle. If I use an adaptor with Nikon Lenses will the EX3 forget settings when I put the standard lens back on?
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

Bruce,
Yes the EX3 is supposed to remember setting for serial number on lenses, only EX lenses though.

I once had my EX3 forget the setting, while shipped as carry on luggage on a bumpy ride. The lens never was taken off but something got bumped. And it was way off when I went to use it.

The moral of the story is, always carry a BF chart. I keep one on the back of my slate board, that is always with me. I have set it a few times in the field even with the talent holding the chart, amazing but it does work, You do have to be on a tripod though. And keep the BG as plain as possible. It is easy to do.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yep, bumping a lens around in transit can cause the back focus to shift. Every time I fly and the camera goes in the hold I have to redo the back focus on arrival.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds