DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   A dumb question from Vincent (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/478755-dumb-question-vincent.html)

Vincent Oliver May 15th, 2010 10:15 AM

A dumb question from Vincent

Just experimenting with the transition settings on my EX3, I see there is a Speed and a Time setting. Now the functions do seem very obvious to me. I use the Time settings to extend or shorten the zoom/focus transtion etc., no problem. When I tried any of the speed settings 1 to 10, the transition duration is exactly the same time, i.e. almost instant. Have I missed something?

My bottom strap line sums up my question

Gavin Rawlings May 16th, 2010 07:54 PM

I have the same problem to so i guess we are both missing something...

Richard Crowley May 16th, 2010 08:48 PM

Sorry, I don't have the answer to this "dumb question".

However it brings up a related "dumb question" of my own: Why would anybody use that feature IN THE CAMERA?

Perhaps I just have really low self-confidence. I'm NEVER sure that the shot I just made AND the shot I'm about to make are both "keepers" (or which transition I will end up using). Why would I want to screw them up with an indelible in-camera effect?

Vincent Oliver May 16th, 2010 11:52 PM

Richard,

The transition effect is widely used in most productions that you see on TV, especially nature documentaries. Focus starts on a close up and then snaps to a distant object. I used the effect in my recent "in and out of Africa" DVD. I had a pan from a brightly lit scene to a shadow area. I set the camera up for a four second transition using aperture - iris. as I panned the aperture gradually opened to compensate for the difference in exposure. This took four attemps to get the timing and smooth pan right, but it worked well.

I can use the Transition effect with the TIME setting, but it doesn't seem to work when using the SPEED setting. I posted the question in the hope that someone may shed some light on how to use the SPEED setting.

Vincent Oliver May 17th, 2010 01:30 AM

After a little more experimentation I now have the answer. The SPEED setting only works on the zoom speed and not on Focus. Focus is still instant although if you use a combination of Focus with Zoom then it works.

Robert Young May 17th, 2010 01:34 AM

Vincent
Be sure you are in "execute" mode.
Then when you push the B button (if you are at the A shot), you should see the transition procede very slowly if time is 1, and very fast if time is 10.
If you are in anything other than the "execute mode" the transition will be fast and unrelated to the "speed" setting.

Ooops... I spoke too soon. You've sorted it out. I do seem to always use transition with both zoom and focus.

Vincent Oliver May 17th, 2010 01:46 AM

Thank you Robert, I did try all the combinations, and yes you are right the transition is instant when using the Check feature, I was aware of this. The Focus transition does work on its own when using the TIME setting, so not all is lost. I was just curious as to why it doesn't work when using the SPEED setting.