DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Rewrap XDCAM mxf files to Quicktime mov container (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/478854-rewrap-xdcam-mxf-files-quicktime-mov-container.html)

Marten Dalfors May 17th, 2010 12:00 PM

Rewrap XDCAM mxf files to Quicktime mov container

Is there any software on a PC that can rewrap an XDCAM mxf file to a Quicktime file. I work and edit in Sony Vegas with the XDCAM files and use smart rendering. Once I have the file my client demands XDCAM file in Quicktime mov container.

What can I do? I don't want to buy a Mac and FCP just to rewrap the files to quicktime.

Harry Christensen May 17th, 2010 04:28 PM

XDCAM Transfer provided by Sony will rewrap to Quicktime. Check on Sony's download site for the latest version.

Marten Dalfors May 17th, 2010 11:52 PM

Is that a standalone program that can be run on PC or is it Mac only with FCP? I Thought it was the latter. I do not have funds to get a Mac just to rewrap to Quicktime.

Harry Christensen May 18th, 2010 02:42 AM

It is a stand alone program available for both PC and MAC.

Vincent Oliver May 18th, 2010 03:10 AM

No, it is only available for the MAC

"Now with full Professional Disc support on Snow Leopard.XDCAM Transfer software provides users of Apple's Final Cut Pro with native support for the entire XDCAM family. The software enables FCP users to mount XDCAM Discs into the Mac's Finder by plugging in a Firewire/i.Link cable from an XDCAM camcorder or deck or via a USB connection to the PDW-U1 drive. Proxy A/V content can be browsed directly, and native content imported into FCP."

Marten Dalfors May 18th, 2010 05:35 AM

Does that mean it's not a standalone program either. All I want to do is rewrap mxf to mov without recompression.

Vincent Oliver May 18th, 2010 06:19 AM

You can always open your EX files in Premiere or other NLE application as save the file as an uncompressed QuickTime MOV file. This what I do for delivery to a client.

Harry Christensen May 18th, 2010 03:53 PM

I have a version of XDCAM transfer running on my Windows 7 Laptop in addition to my Mac tower.

Vincent Oliver May 18th, 2010 04:25 PM

That is news to me Harry as XDCAM Transfer is only available for the Mac, you are not confusing it with XDCAM ClipBrowser are you?

Marten Dalfors May 18th, 2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1528232)
You can always open your EX files in Premiere or other NLE application as save the file as an uncompressed QuickTime MOV file. This what I do for delivery to a client.

The filesize will be 30 times larger which is cumbersome to handle. On my system I can't even do playback with the file due to slow discs so it's harder to check the files before delivery. It's not a good option for my workflow, but might be what I end up with if there is no other solution.

Vincent Oliver May 19th, 2010 12:49 AM

A larger file is the big downside to the process I gave you. I am not aware of any other software that will just re-wrap EX files, maybe someone else has the answer.

Jean-Philippe Archibald February 16th, 2012 11:17 AM

Re: Rewrap XDCAM mxf files to Quicktime mov container

I need to revive this thread. I am editing on Premiere CS5.5. I need to send something to a broadcaster via FTP They can take DNxHD, ProRES or XDCAM HD, but this have to be in Quicktime wrapper Since I am on PC, Prores is not an option.

I can do a DNxHD file but the size is huge and the transfert will take too long over FTP. So the solution seems to be XDCAM HD, but on Premiere PC version, I can only export XDCAM via a MXF warpper.

Is there a way to export directly from premiere in XDCAM .mov? Or is there a software that can allow me to rewrap my MXF file to MOV???

Thank you very much!!!

Vincent Oliver February 16th, 2012 11:26 AM

TRy QuickTime Pro, it's a cheap application that I use a lot (Windows version)

Jean-Philippe Archibald February 16th, 2012 11:32 AM

You can export XDCAM HD .Mov using Quicktime PRO?

Vincent Oliver February 16th, 2012 11:48 AM

No that option is not available, but you can save to many other formats.

On my Nikon files I have a lot of trouble viewing .mov files, but by just changing the extension to mpg they open and play very smoothly. You could try just changing the extension from MXF to MOV and see if it works.