DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 HD-SDI output in 25p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/479166-ex1-hd-sdi-output-25p.html)

Bob Grant May 21st, 2010 08:32 PM

EX1 HD-SDI output in 25p

I seem to recall this coming up ages ago but cannot find it.
If I switch the EX1 into 25p it appears to send 25PsF out the HD-SDI port. If I recall correctly this is because the SMPTE spec doesn't include 25p.

Only reason I ask is because we finally got a NanoFlash. Fed the HD-SDI signal into the Nano and then into a 17" Panny monitor which says the incoming signal is 1080 50i. No real problem except the Panny shows line twitter on fine detail. I think there might be setting in the monitor to wrangle this so it's not that big an issue but I'd like to have technically accurate description of where the problem originates

Piotr Wozniacki May 21st, 2010 10:53 PM

Bob,

Just set Record PsF-> Progressive on, and Play Progressive -> PsF off on the nanoFlash.

Bob Grant May 21st, 2010 11:43 PM

Thanks,
I did notice that one. More concerned about the monitor at the moment.
So am I correct, the camera can only send 25PsF as that's all the SMPTE spec permits?
If that's the case then that's also all the Nano can send out as well.

Piotr Wozniacki May 22nd, 2010 01:17 AM

Don't know about SMPTE specs-compliance, but out of the three 1080 progressive modes (25p, 30p and 24p) it's only the latter that can be sent as either tru P or PsF.

Re monitor, I'm using the nano's loop through capability and - with the settings mentioned above - am getting 25p on my Marshall monitor.

But whatever the signal, be prepared that with all this resolution, you will get *some* twitter on anything less than a full HD display...

Alister Chapman May 22nd, 2010 01:58 AM

Yes that's correct. But I wouldn't get too hung up about it, PsF is true unadulterated Progressive, it's just that the signal still has an interlace flag to allow it to pass through legacy infrastructure.

With the PsF in box checked the NanoFlash will record the files as progressive and play them back as non-PsF over the HDSDi. Just remember to un-check the box next time you use interlace as any I material will also get recorded as progressive and that can be a complete nightmare.

Duncan Craig May 22nd, 2010 04:23 AM

I've just been sorting out my monitor setup too.
I'm using a Datavideo DAC8 SDI to HDMI converter, the first one was faulty but a replacement worked OK!!

With my EX1 in:
720p25 the monitor reports the signal as 720p50
1080p25 it's 1080i50
But that's how PsF works.

Is your monitor full 1080p? if not could it be downsampling artifacts you are seeing?

My monitor is a 22inch 1080p TV, and it's perfect.

Bob Grant May 22nd, 2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Is your monitor full 1080p? if not could it be downsampling artifacts you are seeing?
The panel res is 1280x720. Thing is this was with the camera locked off and there was just the slightest twitter on some fine detail. The monitor says it's getting 1080i and in 25p the camera certainly outputs too much vertical resolution for interlaced displays. Pretty certain I can config the monitor to do a field merge and/or else get the Nano to do the same based on the above from Alister.