EX1 HD-SDI output in 25p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Trustee

EX1 HD-SDI output in 25p

I seem to recall this coming up ages ago but cannot find it.
If I switch the EX1 into 25p it appears to send 25PsF out the HD-SDI port. If I recall correctly this is because the SMPTE spec doesn't include 25p.

Only reason I ask is because we finally got a NanoFlash. Fed the HD-SDI signal into the Nano and then into a 17" Panny monitor which says the incoming signal is 1080 50i. No real problem except the Panny shows line twitter on fine detail. I think there might be setting in the monitor to wrangle this so it's not that big an issue but I'd like to have technically accurate description of where the problem originates
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Bob,

Just set Record PsF-> Progressive on, and Play Progressive -> PsF off on the nanoFlash.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks,
I did notice that one. More concerned about the monitor at the moment.
So am I correct, the camera can only send 25PsF as that's all the SMPTE spec permits?
If that's the case then that's also all the Nano can send out as well.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't know about SMPTE specs-compliance, but out of the three 1080 progressive modes (25p, 30p and 24p) it's only the latter that can be sent as either tru P or PsF.

Re monitor, I'm using the nano's loop through capability and - with the settings mentioned above - am getting 25p on my Marshall monitor.

But whatever the signal, be prepared that with all this resolution, you will get *some* twitter on anything less than a full HD display...
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes that's correct. But I wouldn't get too hung up about it, PsF is true unadulterated Progressive, it's just that the signal still has an interlace flag to allow it to pass through legacy infrastructure.

With the PsF in box checked the NanoFlash will record the files as progressive and play them back as non-PsF over the HDSDi. Just remember to un-check the box next time you use interlace as any I material will also get recorded as progressive and that can be a complete nightmare.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:23 AM   #6
Major Player

I've just been sorting out my monitor setup too.
I'm using a Datavideo DAC8 SDI to HDMI converter, the first one was faulty but a replacement worked OK!!

With my EX1 in:
720p25 the monitor reports the signal as 720p50
1080p25 it's 1080i50
But that's how PsF works.

Is your monitor full 1080p? if not could it be downsampling artifacts you are seeing?

My monitor is a 22inch 1080p TV, and it's perfect.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Is your monitor full 1080p? if not could it be downsampling artifacts you are seeing?
The panel res is 1280x720. Thing is this was with the camera locked off and there was just the slightest twitter on some fine detail. The monitor says it's getting 1080i and in 25p the camera certainly outputs too much vertical resolution for interlaced displays. Pretty certain I can config the monitor to do a field merge and/or else get the Nano to do the same based on the above from Alister.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds