SmallHD with EX-1 color match at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SmallHD with EX-1 color match

My problem is that the colors on the SmallHD dp1x doesn`t match the colors on my EX-1 monitor
I know it`s primary for focusing, but how can I adjust the colors to match the EX-1 so that I`m looking at the same picture

Thanks
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
New Boot

Take a look at the tutorials and see if they help.

tutorials [smallhd.com Wiki]

-reed
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik Vale View Post
My problem is that the colors on the SmallHD dp1x doesn`t match the colors on my EX-1 monitor
I know it`s primary for focusing, but how can I adjust the colors to match the EX-1 so that I`m looking at the same picture

Thanks
Ummmm, a color chart perhaps?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, I tried, but I still can`t get the same image.
I can adjust one color, but then others are bad.

Also if I calibrate monitor by the tutorial, monitor is ok, but the image that is recorded is different, so I should look at that image

Any of you that use SmallHD with EX-1? How are you shooting?
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I upgraded my DP1 to the DP1x recently and can report that the picture is much improved. That being said, while I can get the color close to the LCD I do not rely on the monitor for color. The primary use is for focusing and the color is an extra benefit. Given that the EX-1 is connected via the component connection I would expect some differences in the color represented vs the LCD. I typically have to have a separate configs for indoors and outdoors. Contrast will need to be dialed down for outdoor use in order to see the picture and sunlight of course will change your perception of color as well. All I can recommend is to keep playing with it by making small adjustments. I can get excellent color out of mine FWIW. Here's a link to a pic in a separate thread regarding the upgrade:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...e-dsc01255.jpg

The objective there was to get it as close to my view of the rose bush vs. comparing it to the LCD which is almost worthless outside. Granted this picture has it's own limitations but you can see how close it looked to reality. Certainly good enough for my purposes. Great product for a great price and their customer service is exemplary.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds