Sony EX1r stuttering zoom problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony EX1r stuttering zoom problem

I think there was a thread on this a while back, but I wanted to see if other EX1r users are experiencing the stuttering zoom problem. My camera definitely has the problem and its already burned me on a couple of live events.

I haven't tried contacting Sony yet, but does anyone know if they will fix the problem for free? This is just completely unacceptable for a $6000 camera.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Jeff if your problem was with an external zoom controller then I would recommend you get the Libec one. Try Tapeworks Texas. They are a sponsor and the unit is inexpensive through them.

If it is with the rocker built into the EX1r then you may need a firmware update, unless your unit is truly defective.

-Andrew
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wallace View Post
I think there was a thread on this a while back, but I wanted to see if other EX1r users are experiencing the stuttering zoom problem. My camera definitely has the problem and its already burned me on a couple of live events.

I haven't tried contacting Sony yet, but does anyone know if they will fix the problem for free? This is just completely unacceptable for a $6000 camera.
This is certainly a common problem on some EX1 and EX3, I've had my EX3 lens replaced but it's now worse than before. I need to get it replaced again.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #4
New Boot

Same thing with my PMW 350K. I like the Libec Zoom Control but it didn't solve the stuttering problem entirely.
Felix Halter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Excuse my question about the meaning of "stuttering"? - is this referring to very small (and quickly repeated) hesitations in the zoom progress?

(Possible EX user, but not yet!)
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
If it is with the rocker built into the EX1r then you may need a firmware update, unless your unit is truly defective.
-Andrew
It's the rocker zoom, and yes my unit is truly defective just as many others are that have the same problem. My question is: has Sony acknowledged the problem and will they fix it for free?

How could they possibly release a camera with such a major problem?
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #7
New Boot

[QUOTE=Martin Mayer;1531161]Excuse my question about the meaning of "stuttering"? - is this referring to very small (and quickly repeated) hesitations in the zoom progress?

On my Ex1 it happened on very slow zoom speeds (below 5). It's like the zoom gets stuck for a short period and then resumes working. It seems to be an inherited problem with these new type of electronic focusing lenses (which show no "breathing" upon focusing). About two years ago I sent it in to Sony and got the following answer:

"Smooth operation with the handle zoom speed in "hyper slow" mode (between 1 & 10) is not guaranteed due to lens variability & environmental conditions. All we can recommend is to set the zoom speed no lower than 10 to maintain consistently smooth operation."

And now my PMW-350K has the same problem with the stock lens. But what do you want for the price of these lenses, they are not broadcast, but otherwise they perform extremely well.
Felix Halter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Halter View Post
Same thing with my PMW 350K. I like the Libec Zoom Control but it didn't solve the stuttering problem entirely.
Really???
Mine (stock lens) is pretty much silky smooth at all zoom speeds. Must be quite a wide variety in the build quality of the zoom rocker mechanics/electronics on the stock lenses. See if you can have it changed. Maybe that will help.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Major Player

[quote=Felix Halter;1531360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer View Post
And now my PMW-350K has the same problem with the stock lens. But what do you want for the price of these lenses, they are not broadcast, but otherwise they perform extremely well.
With broadcast lenses you are paying for really good glass, clever lens configurations to get rid of vignetting and fishbowling at wide angles, efficient pass through of light to the imager, study housing and smooth as silk RAMPING on zoom controls.

You can get decent zoom controls on $3000 cameras. Look at the Z1, the zoom was fine. No notchiness at all. Something is seriously wrong with the engineering of the servo in these units. They are substandard for this price range of camera. No two ways about it.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #10
Major Player

pardon me but.....you guys must be joking. I'm considering selling my Canon HDV cameras and moving to the eX-1R. Are we serious here? what does Sony have to say?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Major Player

My EX1 had to go in for repair a few months ago and during the conversation with the support centre they wondered whether I would be upgrading to the EX1R. I said no because I had heard that the zoom did not work as smoothly as the EX1. The reply was that there is nothing wrong with it but you must work within Sony's recommended speed settings. I not know what that speed actually is but hope it is not too limiting to EX1R owners. I have stayed with my EX1 which gives fantastic pictures for the money and now it's running on the new firmware I have even more confidence in it.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Wrangler

I too have noticed problems with zoom hesitation at very slow speeds on my EX1. I have not done any extensive testing, but using a slow preset of 4 on the handle zoom seems to be OK. I had intermittent problems when setting it slower than that.

Either way, I prefer the EX1 to my Z1. Using an external zoom controller on the Z1, you cannot access the slow zoom speeds at all (regardless of brand); you must use the rocker which is a hit-or-miss proposition at best. We discussed this long ago in the Z1 forum.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds