DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Using the EX1 with ASUS EEE to dump video to external HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/479410-using-ex1-asus-eee-dump-video-external-hd.html)

Sandor Jancso May 25th, 2010 08:39 PM

Using the EX1 with ASUS EEE to dump video to external HD

Does anyone use the ASUS EEE netbooks for moving files between camera and External HD? How long does it usually take to move 16GB of video to a Western Digital My Passport Drive?

Sandor Jancso May 27th, 2010 04:57 PM

any info

topping this because i need to buy a laptop soon

Tuy Le May 27th, 2010 07:39 PM

I woundn't use camera as reader - too expensive reader.
A laptop with Express card 34/54 slot - can read Sony SxS and MxM/MxR adapters.
with an eSATA port so you can transfrer the video from memory card to external drive - very fast :-)
For 32GB SxS card to eSATA drive will take around 15 minutes.
You can use the USB port and it will be slower.

Piotr Wozniacki May 28th, 2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuy Le (Post 1532294)
A laptop with Express card 34/54 slot - can read Sony SxS and MxM/MxR adapters.with an eSATA port so you can transfrer the video from memory card to external drive - very fast :-)

Correction - with SDHC adapters, it will only be the USB speed.

Matt Davis May 28th, 2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandor Jancso (Post 1531482)
Does anyone use the ASUS EEE netbooks for moving files between camera and External HD?

I bought a Dell Mini-9 for this purpose, with decent RAM and a 64 GB SSD.

It was, as we say in England, a 'chocolate teapot' - a pointless exercise due to the poor performance, icky build quality, poor battery life, pesky keyboard and so on. I then put OS-X on it (a 'Hackintosh' as they're sometimes called), and it was just the same - upleasant to use.

If I am going to the lengths of carting even a SMALL computer around to manage cards on location, I simply cannot do without the chance to look at my footage. An Asus may do the copying for you, but will most probably baulk at actually playing them back in a way that's better than your camera's LCD panel.

But remember, I speak as one who is used to a 17" MacBook Pro, and I was using the XDCAM Transfer process* rather than just using the Dell to copy files from one to the other, so perhaps my opinion is a little biassed!

* This involves setting metadata including interviewee name/affiliation, location and so on whilst we're shooting (during breaks). This has become so totally useful for me that I can't live without it, even if it's done at the hotel after the shoot.

C.S. Michael May 28th, 2010 05:12 PM

I believe Asus has now released a Dual Core netbook. That might be up to the task.

I once edited a short 720P AVCHD video on my Asus EEE. Yes, it was kind of like driving to work in a golf cart. (I love the "chocolate teapot" expression, by the way! That's a new one to me.)

Walter Brokx May 29th, 2010 09:45 AM

Just copying files should work when all drivers are installed: it's just copying files from 1 drive (the camera/cardreader) to another one (external harddisk). Maximum speed is limited by the USB connections and the harddisk's speed (which should be faster than USB, but I can't garantee it).

Just don't expect to properly view it on the netbook. No graphic card and insuffient memory to handle it will not help your mood ;-)
A big plus is offcourse that netbooks are very cheap.
If you really want to streamline things you should compare the cost of a better laptop with internal cardreader and the netbook plus the sony standalone cardreader. (But the Sony cardreader can be connected anywhere).

Good luck with deciding!

Alister Chapman May 29th, 2010 10:54 AM

I used to use a Fujitsu Amilo 3520 netbook to off load cards on location. The 3520 has an express card slot so no need to use the camera. A 16Gb card takes around 15 mins to backup to a USB drive with the Amilo. The USB drive connection is a bottleneck. I don't use it any more as I have a Nexto NVS2500, much faster and simpler.