Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM   #16
Major Player

Also take a look at Think Tank. I have the Airport Acceleration backpack and it holds my EX-1, Wireless mics, 2 batteries, charger, on camera light with room to spare. And it has an outer compartment for a laptop. The backpack straps are quite good. I see they make one now with rollers too.

The only thing that won't fit (but you didn't ask about this) is the camera mounted on rails for a mattebox or 35mm adapter. The bag is about 2 inches too shallow to accommodate the height of this type of rig.

I don't see where you mention if you will actually backpack with it. That's important! If you are just looking for a carry-on sized bag and you wont be hiking or walking a lot with it, I'd suggest getting a roller bag instead. There's no compelling reason not to roller when you can!!!

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:45 PM   #17
Major Player

I use the Kata HB-207 backpack as well and really like it. It's a very sturdy pack and keeps the gear well protected.
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Hyman View Post
I use the Kata HB-207 for my EX1, and I've taken it on many flights. I always worry that I'll run into a situation where they won't let me on the plane with it, but (so far) it has always worked out.

It goes through security fine and barely fits into overhead bins.

It will carry all the gear you're talking about.

Here's the link:

Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

It's robust. It's not a Pelican case, but it's very robust.
Same bag, same fears, same results :)

Lets not forget it can accommodate a laptop (my 13" Macbook Pro for sure) which is important for dumping and reviewing material.
Optionally there is a trolley, which makes it a roller bag.
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I just received my petrol PCBP-1 and it won't properly fit a 17" laptop. The provided sleeve is for 15" laptops. without the sleeve a 17" MBP will fit but i wouldn't recommend it. For me this is not a problem since i own both a 15" and a 17" MBP, so i can use my other bag for the 17". Hope this helps.
Daan Bras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:12 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Daan,

thank you very much for this information. Yes, it helps. I think I will go for the CineBags 25 - as I will use it as backpack.
Bob - thanks for your advice - I had a look at ThinkTank - actually I own the bag for the '17 MacBook Pro from them. The ThinkTank TakeOff with rails looks very convenient - but also heavy.
Thanks all for your opinion and I hope Pushpanatha de Silva has also all the information he asked for.
Jürgen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Major Player

I simply bought a backpack from Walmart that was already padded in the back and seemed to be stitched well (as good as the so-called professional bags) and glued open cell 1/2 inch foam to the other three walls of the inside. In the outer pocket (full sized) I simply inserted another piece of open cell foam for a total of 1 inch of protection front and back and 1/2 inch on the sides. I also made some foam inserts to take up some space if I am only carrying the camera and nothing else to make a tighter fit, although it probably isn't necessary.

Total cost - around $39.

What I like about it is that there are still other pockets for other things and I can partially unzip it if I am walking around and remove the camera by pulling it out from the top instead of having to lay the pack down (as with these commercial overpriced packs) and remove it like it was a suitcase. That is really inconvenient even aside from the high cost.

I do have an aluminum case and a Petrol "Doctor" bag that I use if I am not constantly on the move with the camera.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Back packs for Sony PMW EX1

Hi All

Thx vm for all the guy who have given me lots of info about theie experiences with their backpacks. I finally bought a Cinebag Model CB-25A which suits my EX1 and as well as my laptop. Thx guys..
Pushpa-Australia

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds