DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/479621-looking-advice-backpack-ex1.html)

Pushpanatha de Silva May 29th, 2010 08:09 PM

Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1

Hi

I am looking for best packpack I can buy to carry on planes as hand luggage(accompanied luggage). with pockets and padding for safety. Thanks

Doug Jensen May 29th, 2010 08:35 PM

I've had the forerunner to this Cinebags backpack since I got my EX1 almost three years ago.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683337-REG/CineBags_CB_23_CB_23_HD_Backpack.html
The fit is a little tight, but it was worked very well and I'd definately buy it again. In fact, I was hiking in Yosemite National Park last week with my EX1 and hardly noticed the camera was on my back. I'm still amazed that the EX1 with all the accessories weighs several pounds less than my other backpack that is loaded with a Nikon SLR and lenses. That thing is heavy!

Dan Asseff May 29th, 2010 08:36 PM

I just bought this back pack for my sony NX5 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683336-REG/CineBags_CB_25A_CB_25A_Revolution_Backpack.html I used it for a three day shoot,and it worked great. I think it will fit your EX1. Lots of pockets for equipment. I love it.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Doug Jensen May 29th, 2010 08:46 PM

Dan, I like the color of yours better than the one I have. I guess if I was going to buy one right now, the CB25-A would be the one.

Stephen Mick May 29th, 2010 09:31 PM

Kata

I've owned CIneBags products in the past, and will never own them again. The construction was shoddy, the materials they use are nowhere near what I consider "professional" and their customer service is nonexistent.

Look at Kata's camcorder backpacks. I don't think I've ever met a shooter who wasn't happy with their Kata gear. It's all I use for my video gear, and Think Tank for my photo/DSLR stuff.

Doug Jensen May 29th, 2010 11:46 PM

Although I have never used Kata backpacks, I do own other Kata products and I'd rank the quality of my CineBags backpack and other CineBags products I own (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325428-REG/CineBags_CB_01_CB_01_Production_Bag_Black.html) way above any of the Kata products I use. I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the CineBags products and I have put a lot of miles on them. The Kata stuff is okay, but In my opinion it has a "prosumer" feel to it, and is not as durable as CineBags or Porta-Brace.

Greg Charest May 30th, 2010 12:53 AM

My Kata backpack is a TANK!
I would not run it over with a car mind you but it is truly rugged.
Sadly they don't make one big enough for my EX3.

Harry Christensen May 30th, 2010 04:14 AM

The Kata BP-502 is recommended for the EX3 according to their web site.

Juergen Hansen May 30th, 2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Asseff (Post 1532945)
I think it will fit your EX1. Lots of pockets for equipment. I love it.

Do you have by any chance a picture of the backpack with your equipment in it. On CineBags Website there is no gallery anymore and the Facebook site is a joke.
I am looking for a backpack which I can use for EX1 + 2 BP-U60 Batteries + Sennheiser MKH416 + Wireless Receiver&Transmitter + MacBook Pro 17.
And all that of course has to fit as handluggage on the plane....
CineBags 25 seems to be ideal but I would love to see how it looks inside.
Thanks a lot,
Jürgen

Israel Hyman May 30th, 2010 06:24 PM

I use the Kata HB-207 for my EX1, and I've taken it on many flights. I always worry that I'll run into a situation where they won't let me on the plane with it, but (so far) it has always worked out.

It goes through security fine and barely fits into overhead bins.

It will carry all the gear you're talking about.

Here's the link:

Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

It's robust. It's not a Pelican case, but it's very robust.

Dan Asseff May 30th, 2010 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Juergen,

I don't have the EX1 but have the NX5. It said it fits the EX1 on B&H web site. Here is some pictures with NX5, wireless and receiver extra shotgun mic, swit light and battery headphones . The top view of over sized
pouch with a HV30 with wide angle lens. Hope this helps.

Dan

Eugene J. Kulak May 31st, 2010 05:46 AM

this is the backpack I use and it seems to work well.

Petrol | PCBP-1 Papoose Mini DV Hiker Professional | PCBP-1

Juergen Hansen May 31st, 2010 06:51 AM

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for the two photos - that is great. I know that you have the NX5 - but in size it is similar to the EX1R I would guess. It is tightly packed on your photos, but it seems, there is another small compartment where you have stocked your little camcorder.

I had a look at the Petrol bag Eugene recommended, but it is not specific about the size of the Laptop which fits in. I have the '17 MacBook Pro and the CineBags CB-25A says, it will fit that size.

So I guess, I will go with the CB-25A if there is nothing else. KATA seems to be to big for airlines as hand luggage.

Thanks a lot,
Jürgen

Daan Bras May 31st, 2010 09:24 AM

I have a petrol pcb-1 in the mail coming to me, delivery tomorrow i guess.
I also own a ex-1 and 17" MBP so i'll check it out for you tomorrow. Petrol claims a 17" laptop will fit.

Juergen Hansen May 31st, 2010 09:37 AM

Hi Daan,

that would be very, very nice of you. I appreciate that.
Would you mind to post a photo? I saw the pictures on Petrol's site, it looks nice. The only advantage of the CineBags in my impression - it has additional small bags at the side to put in some Western Digital Passport harddisks for example.
But keep me updated, thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Jürgen