Pmw-ex3/2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Pmw-ex3/2

Sony has announced that they are now shipping the PMWEX3/2
Changes include the following:

1. The lens hand grip has been changed to the same hand grip as that of the PMW-EX1R, with
improved ergonomics for increased user comfort when used hand-held.
2. The handgrip also incorporates a One-Push Auto Iris button, again similar to the PMW-EX1R,
which the camcorder (PMW-EX3) fully supports.
3. The lens focus ring, which is slideable from the AF/MF position to the Full MF postion, now
includes the easily seen orange painted ring like the PMW-EX1R so that the current
operational position of the focus ring can be easily discerned.
4. The PMW-EX3/2 now includes a promotional 16GB SxS card

The model number on the camcorder itself remains PMW-EX3, as well as on all related
literature and documentation.
Contact your local Authorized Sony XDCAM EX Reseller for pricing and availability or TapeWorks Texas Inc toll free in the US 866-827-3489 for a customized quotation!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Shame Sony didn't also modify the On/Off switch on the camera body, the times I have put my camera away having moved the switch to playback instead of OFF doesn't bear thinking about.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Major Player

At this point of the product and market evolution, it is dreadfully sad that Sony didn't provide the EX3/2 with a 50MB/s MPEG option even if it is 4:2:0. It is shameful having to drag around a bunch of barnacles to provide the quality of video and price point that customers are demanding these days.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Scott ...

"Sony has announced that they are now shipping the PMWEX3/2 ... "
Is there an announcement or write-up on this new version of the camera? I wonder if the IR contamination has been reduced?

Last edited by Dean Harrington; June 6th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Trustee

It looks like ithe EX3-2 just has a new lens and that's it.
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sony EX3/2 Upgraded Model Announcement

Wow - what a lame, ultra low key update.....

I'd love to know if they tweaked the IR response - when people get a chance to test the new and older models side by side I guess we'll find out soon enough on DVinfo.

Vincent, you're not alone with the on/off switch thing I can tell you! I keep meaning to put a little paint in the switches vertical groove so it's a little easier to see it's position (a re-designed switch is what was really needed as many of us EX3 owners know). I was going to use white paint for that - but maybe I'll now use orange and daube it all over the lens ring MF/AF area nice and thick so I can pretend I've got the latest model (this is British humour for those that don't recognise it!) - Actually, I never use autofocus anyway so I always know which position it's in.

Back to reality. EX1/EX1r/EX3 or EX3/2, no matter, they all are still amazing cameras which produce stunning results in the right hands but I'm VERY surprised Sony did not go for a "killer upgrade", especially with Canon's new models about to hit the market.
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Good morning Andy, it's nice to know I am not the only one working at 6.50am

I am very happy with my EX3, and yes there is room for improvement on various aspects of the camera, but then most cameras have a minor niggle here and there. I will resist the temptation to open my tin of Dulux, like you I only ever use Manual, with the occasional press of the Auto Focus button when my eyeballs are tired.

I will be getting the new Canon F350 camera in for review in a couple of weeks time, it will be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

Have a good day up there in Cambridge.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Vincent! Been working ALL WEEKEND (had to get 3 major corporate films to Final Cut this week - just finished!....now the disc making starts).

Back on topic, if they really only changed the lens I guess the body's "rounded bottom/poor/weak tripod mounting area fault" still remains (mine has an aftermarket plate/bracket anyway - forgot which one as I'm so tired!)
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Trustee

After a long session I find having a "Power Nap" for about 20 minutes will set me up for another four hours work.

Make hay while the sun shines.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Am I the only one who breathes a sigh of relief when the next update is so marginal that I don't have to start worrying about the lust factor pushing me to start thinking about trading in an already great product, whatever the niggles?
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

You certainly aren't the only one, David...

:)
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Major Player

I hope they do deals on the EX3 now as they did with the EX1 when the EX1R came out - I would like an EX3. Seems very low profile introduction as not many (1) I can find so far acknowledging the new model.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm glad that it was a marginal update.... no need to upgrade my EX3 just yet.

The on/off switch and the ND switch are the only problems I have with the EX3... Making those two functions easier to use would have been a good addition to the Ex3/2.
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

The power-on switch is imo easy to modify by Sony, but the ND-filter switch is a different boy.
If you have seen the mechanical construction of the filters than you will understand.
There are three rond glass filters attached to a very dedicated so called filterwheel.
By moving the selector on side of the lens, a handle is turning the wheel via plastic geared quarter wheel.
The turning is not so typical, it is the way the wheel stops imo.
It has a lot of play and I wonder how long it can last without faillure.
To add a fourth filter to the wheel, will be a hell of a job imo.
I have taken my EX3 apart, so I know.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #15
Regular Crew

John, were you able to put the ex3 back together after taking it apart? ;)
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds