EX1 Battery ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1 Battery ?

I see many led lights take the Sony NP-F770 or NP-970 Batteries. The sonly light says it can take the "L Series Battery"

Are their any LED lights that can take the BP U60, or BP U30 batteries, or are these batteries backward compatable for these LED lights that take the Sony DV adapter?

Here is an example of what I may get, just wonder if my batteries will work, or do I need to order a NP-F770?
Litepanels Micro DV Adapter Plate for Sony - LP9506 - MDVAP-S
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you use a third party batter for EX there are "taps" that will allow the same battery to power an on camera light.

The EX camera uses 14V common to many professional video cameras whereas the batteries used in most DV/HDV cameras and lights that accept such batteries are using 7.2V.

Note that 14V batteries are larger and heavier than 7.2V batteries which is why the tap solution is common to professional cameras.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

We have the BP-U65 and BP-U95 batteries for EX1/EX3 that also has a D-tab connector to power other device such as the Comer 900 or Comer 1800 light AT THE SAME TIME.

Sony Compatible BP-U65 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Shop
Sony Compatible BP-U95 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Shop
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I have 2 DS-U65 batteries, they also have a D-tap.
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A little off topic but I ran into an idiosyncrasy of the Sony batteries. I had to shoot a job at a police checkpoint at night. The portable light I had was a Frezzi mini-fill. So I bought a little adapter for my BP-U batteries with a 4-pin XLR output. Hooked up the Frezzi to the Sony battery.
Battery quit. It's too smart. I think it detects too much draw and something clicks inside. Other batteries worked fine. Putting it back on a charger made the Sony batteries happy again but the lesson is 14.4 or not, there's a limited of amps it will put out.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds