Consensus on EX1 VF & LCD Calibration? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Consensus on EX1 VF & LCD Calibration?

There have been threads on this already, but I am curious to know what you have ended up with to correct the factory calibration of the LCD & VF on the Ex1.

Right now I am experimenting with VF left at default ('0' Brightness and '0' Contrast) and LCD at +25 Brightness. '0' for Contrast.

What were your final values for each?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm using a Hoodman loupe to turn my EX1's LCD into a viewfinder.

The color is set at -30, contrast 0, brightness +31.
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

I think it is completely dependent on your environment, like any monitor.

I always at the very least set the brightness every time lighting conditions change, this is true for any monitor.

The best way to set exposure is not what it looks like in the VF old on the LCD, but use zebra and histogram, they work great if you take the time to learn how to use them.

Spend some time with a professional evaluation monitor that is calibrated to learn what looks right, using zebra and histogram.

If the shoot is really critical bring a SDI monitor, to be sure. And you will have to adjust that as well to the ambient light first.
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Spend some time with a professional evaluation monitor that is calibrated to learn what looks right, using zebra and histogram.
========================
Yes, I believe that is what all of us have used to determine the settings on both the VF and the LCD. I know I did.

The purpose of this thread is to see what we have come up with. Judging from mine and Dean's results it appears that the LCD is not bright enough. I added +25 and Dean added +31.

Anyone else have any data to add to the thread?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

While I also find the EVF brighter than LCD at default settings, I wonder why everybody's thinking it's the LCD which is not bright enough, and not the EVF which is too bright?

Having said that, I also believe there is no single "best" setting; the LCD must be adapted to the shooting environment each time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds