DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Motorized head for timelapse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/480979-motorized-head-timelapse.html)

Craig Kovatch June 26th, 2010 11:52 AM

Motorized head for timelapse

I've seen some videos on youtube where the camera is panning/tilting during timelapse photography, and was wondering if anyone was using one on their EX1.

Thanks.

Dave Morrison June 26th, 2010 02:51 PM

There were some great discussions on this list about a year or two ago about this very subject. One of the cheapest methods to do a pan during the sequence is to get a motorized telescope mount such as this one:

Orion TeleTrack Altazimuth Tracking Mount | Orion Telescopes

There was a Japanese manufacturer who was offering a very stripped down version of this mount but I can't find the link yet. Also, you can do what Philip Bloom did to add a simulated pan for some of his timelapses by shooting a 1080 timelapse but editing it down to 720 and doing a slow pan inside the image. Let us know what you come up with.

Oops, forgot to add one more:
https://bmumford.securewebsites.com/...ary/super.html

Craig Kovatch June 26th, 2010 06:00 PM

Thanks for the tip Dave.

That Time Machine unit looks very cool, but holy crap $$$$. I won't receive the EX1R until next week, but when I do, I'll try what Philip did.

Dave Morrison June 26th, 2010 06:11 PM

I've been watching Craigslist to see if I can come up with a used telescope with a motorized mount. It might be the cheapest way to get something that would move the camera for some basic pans.

Chip Thome June 26th, 2010 10:03 PM

You thinking of something like this ???

http://www.bescor.com/Export6.htm

Mine has AC, so could be left going forever.

Bob Grant June 26th, 2010 10:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got one from Mizar Optical Instruments in Japan: KD Motor Mount

I believe Phill Bloom bought one as well.
I've modified mine so it'll mount on 75mm bowl and added a bubble in the process.
i machined a piece of 6mm aluminium plate to attach both a bubble and a Miller DS10 head "nut" assembly I bought as a spare part from Miller. This allows me to level the unit on a tripod. I've also bought a Fader ND filter from Lightcraft Workshop via eBay. Yet to try the combo with the filter.
Please excuse the horrid photos taken in a hurry. If anyone wants anymore info ask away. I don't have a machine shop other than a drill press and a jig saw. With just those basic tools machining the adaptor was easy enough.

Dave Morrison June 26th, 2010 11:33 PM

Thanks Bob. THAT'S the one I was trying to remember. As I started digging around tonight, I came across a couple other interesting products in this same vein:

MILAPSES! They're BACK! - Telescope Warehouse

with a very good YouTube video of the product here:

YouTube - Two Axis Panning Timelapse Head for DSLR (ready to buy)

which also led me to this site:

Dynamic Perceptions - What we do.

Amazing how many hours you can lose on the web, huh? ;-)

Jonathan Bland June 28th, 2010 07:05 PM

"Mizar Optical Instruments in Japan: KD Motor Mount"

I bought one and found that it completely fell apart.

Like I said in a previous post.... it's ok for puttering around with grandma in the backyard but will not stand up to regular use in the field unless it is totally pampered.

Contacted the company.... they did nothing.

Dave Morrison June 28th, 2010 09:15 PM

Thanks for that Jonathan. Guess you get what you pay for.

Paul Newman June 28th, 2010 11:34 PM

My Mizar Optical Unit has been great, very well engineered for $160 !

Also I built a timer that allows me to shoot say, an 8 hour pan, it moves the head then shoots a frame, works in the field off battery pack from Mizar kit. I also added a level bubble to help with set up, and a cable from Bebob for the remote to the EX1.

Here's a rather old demo clip: ( Ignore "cogging" as it's the 24 P Vimeo conversion)

Paul

Eva Sturm June 30th, 2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 1542773)
Thanks Bob. THAT'S the one I was trying to remember. As I started digging around tonight, I came across a couple other interesting products in this same vein:

I use the milapse and find it very useful. See the examples in the first two shots of this clip:

Cheers, Eva

Dave Morrison June 30th, 2010 02:52 PM

Beautiful work, Eva. Well done.

Mark OConnell July 7th, 2010 05:40 PM

I want to get one of these, not sure which yet. For people using the Orion- are you using it on the tripod that it comes with or have you modified it to fit a real tripod? tia

Zsolt Gordos July 9th, 2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 1542773)

Yeah, its amazing how slow the guy with Milapses can talk. In fact he could hypnotize me in a few minutes. The content he talks about, the links he gives are totally useless, you cant find straightforward info on how to setup the device. I ordered it a year ago and still never used due to the lack available instruction how to make it work with time lapse. The programing unti is way too complicated for setup.

If anyone has experience with this unit I appreciate advice.

Gary Oldknow July 16th, 2010 02:24 PM

timelapse is always best done with a DSLR if possible.

the papywizard is well worth investigating as it offers computer control of the merlin/orion telescope head

My Autopano Pro forum / Motorized panohead project: Merlin, Orion & Papywizard