Shoulder mount for EX-3 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 8th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. You really have done an excellent job with this design.

I grabbed my camera and I can see your concern about the four screws.

However, isn't that a concern for any mount on the EX1.

What options can we look at?

Also, what Chrosziel do you have attached, and what follow focus system have you used with your design?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am looking for a solution and yours seems to be the best.

Regards,

Tom Chaney

tom@tomchaney.com
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

I can't speak for other mounts specifically, but unless there are other mounting points on the EX1, any mount that uses just the 1/4" thread will have the same issue - any load goes onto those four tiny screws holding the plate to the bottom of the camera.

At least with the EX-3 we have the extra 2 mounting points on the angled part at the back of the camera - so the load is spread.

My concern with the EX1 on the EXMount is the extra weight of large camera batteries, radio mic receivers, nanoflash etc - which are all attached to the EXMount - will put a lot of strain on the screws holding that plate onto the bottom of the camera - especially if everything is carried by the camera handle.

So we need to put that load back onto the mount (which is pretty tough). I have a couple of thoughts on this - so will look into it and see if we can come up with a workable solution. I have been asked numerous times now if it will be possible to use the EXMount with the EX1/1R - so its probably worth doing!

I'm using a Chrosziel 450 EX-3 kit - with Petroff rod holder & wedge plate. The Petroff works well as it has a good vertical range for positioning the mattbox. Some of the photos show a larger Chrosziel mattbox which I generally use on the bigger cameras (700/350 etc).

The follow focus unit is a Cavision.

Mark
Mark Rule is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds