DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Nexto Di or 32 GB SxS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/481439-nexto-di-32-gb-sxs.html)

Malcolm Hamilton July 5th, 2010 08:15 PM

Nexto Di or 32 GB SxS?

Hi there,

I'm shooting a project that will require some long days of shooting, with no downtime to offload to my MacBook Pro.

I currently have two 8GB cards and 2 16GB SxS cards.

I would like to either get two more 16GB SxS cards or a 32GB SxS card (apologies to all the SD card fans out there, but I want to stay with SxS) OR, it recently occurred to me, the Nexto DI video storage unit.

Two 16GB SxS cards would cost approx. $1100

The 32GB SxS card is approx. $795 ($300 less than the two smaller cards)

The Nexto Di is about $530 (I'd consider the Sony PXU unit, by the way, but it's almost three times as much).

Any advice, re convenience, dependability, and whatever else that I may not have thought of?
thanks, Malcolm

Olakunle Olanrewaju July 6th, 2010 06:59 AM

well for me the most fool proof option is buy 32gb SXS card: the reason is that you can easily forget to copy your files and format the card (it happened to me so I know it is verrrry possible so save your neck and buy more card). For all intent and purpose the way best to go is retain all your cards till you are able to make couple of backup; one to HDD and the other to BD/DVD. I have learnt the hard way, thing easily get clumsy during video shoot. I am Just trying to recover lost wedding video and I can tell u it is a painfull experience. Even if you buy Nexto Di it is still better to wait the end of video shoot to reformat any card.

In short get enough card (whether SXS or SD)for a single day shoot no matter what.

Malcolm Hamilton July 6th, 2010 08:59 AM

thank you Olakunle, for your thoughts.
I know what you mean about the rush-and-tumble of a shooting day, so I'm inclined to accept your advice. My practice so far has been to put every shot card, with the little slider pushed into the 'locked' position, into its case and then into the front pocket of my trousers. I don't touch it again until I'm back home or in my hotel room.
The Nexto DI sounds simple enough to use in the field, and I MIGHT be capable of downloading in the middle of a shoot (there has to be some downtime built into the day, and if there isn't I can't really blame my boss because I'm my own boss), but I take your point about the possibility of things being rushed, and accidents happening.
I'll see if anyone else posts, but I appreciate your input.
Regards, Malcolm

Tuy Le July 6th, 2010 10:05 AM

The price for SxS card is coming down.
You can get 2 32GB SxS for $869 or 2 32GB SxS-1 for $769.

Malcolm Hamilton July 6th, 2010 10:35 AM

Hi Tuy,
Where can I get the two SxS for $869? That sounds very good to me...
Thanks, Malcolm

Malcolm Hamilton July 6th, 2010 11:15 AM

Best price I've been able to find is $795 at B&H, and $799 at Abel Cine. In each case, that's the price of one 32GB card.
I'd love to get two 32GB cards for $869. Please let me know where I can find this deal.
Thanks, Malcolm

Tuy Le July 6th, 2010 11:29 AM

I lost the link for SxS card,
deal for 2 cards package: 32GB SxS-1 for $769 (TapeResources)

Alister Chapman July 6th, 2010 02:24 PM

Be warned that SxS-1 cards are in very short supply at the moment. Make sure they are in stock if your going to buy.

If your going to get a NextoDI the one you want is the NVS2500 which costs around $2000. The 2725 will work but is soooo much slower and it ties up the camera. With the 2750 it takes around 20 mins to backup a 16Gb card via USB. The NVS2500 takes less around 3 minutes and doesn't tie up the camera.

I would really try to stretch to the NVS2500. It will transform your workflow, it's so quick. Then connect to your PC via eSata and again ultra fast transfers. For safety just choose never to delete clips or erase cards in camera. Let the NextoDI format the cards once the backup and verify has been done. That way you should never accidentally delete footage that has not been backed up.

Olakunle Olanrewaju July 6th, 2010 02:55 PM

But I will rather buy nanoflash if have the money instead of NextoDI I can record to compact flash and SXS at the same time or even do redundant recording on nanoflash alone plus the added advantage of improved codec, to me if I do a proper cost benefit analysis then nano is the winner all round. I cant think of spending $2000 at the moment on nexto when I can just add 800 buck for nano with all the benefits. Alister I think you have nano yourself can you do a comparison?

Vladimir Gitlevich July 6th, 2010 03:02 PM

Sony SxS-1 Pro Memory Card 32GB (2 Pack) Deal

Here is the link: Sony SxS-1 Pro Memory Card 32GB (2 Pack), SxS-1 Card, SBS-32G1/2PK - $769 @ Tape Resources

Vladimir

Alister Chapman July 6th, 2010 03:24 PM

Buying a NanoFlash certainly brings some nice benefits such as redundant recording and improved image quality, but you still have to buy media and the NanoFlash approved CF cards are not the cheapest on the market. Yes they are cheaper than SxS, but you have to also remember that if your really taking advantage of the NanoFlash by recording at 100Mb/s or more your going to need a lot more cards... or a NextoDI to backup your CF cards.

Olakunle Olanrewaju July 6th, 2010 03:28 PM

Agreed that I may still need to buy NextoDI but then a cheaper one say $530 will be OK!

Malcolm Hamilton July 6th, 2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1545801)
The NVS2500 takes less around 3 minutes and doesn't tie up the camera.
I would really try to stretch to the NVS2500. It will transform your workflow, it's so quick. Then connect to your PC via eSata and again ultra fast transfers. For safety just choose never to delete clips or erase cards in camera. Let the NextoDI format the cards once the backup and verify has been done. That way you should never accidentally delete footage that has not been backed up.

Thanks for this Alister. I'm sorry the NVS2500 is so much more expensive, but I'm glad to know that the cheaper version is slow in comparison. I won't get it, and I'll put the NVS2500 on my wish list.
re your last couple of sentences: I've never formatted my cards (at least not since I first got them); I erase them (in the camera), once I've copied the files to two different hard drives... but I never format them.
Am I not doing something I should be doing?
Regards, Malcolm

Malcolm Hamilton July 6th, 2010 08:12 PM

By the way, Alister, in case you come back to this thread...
I asked on another thread (NEXTO DI will write to Blu-Ray I think it's called) whether the NEXTO is doing this now. If you have a chance and can pull up that other thread (it's halfway down the first page at the moment) I'd appreciate it.
Malcolm