Ex 3 red residue in lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex 3 red residue in lens

I an very meticulous when cleaning my Ex-3 after every shoot. I operate in a dusty environment shooting dirt racing video. When cleaning my camera just now I looked into the lens while cleaning the uv filter and noticed a red substance right around the iris of the lens. It almost looks like it belongs there and is just around the iris like a narrow ring. It occurred to me that it is the same color of some of the race track dust I shoot in. I keep a UV filter on all the time and always keep the lens cap closed when not shooting.

Any one noticed a similar ring or circle around the iris on your EX stock lens? If so how can it be removed?
So far I cannot tell any effects on my footage. The camera has just over 100 hours and at the end of this season will go back to Sony for cleaning and firmware updates. I wonder if the Sony service center in NJ has the ability to clean inside the lens?

Thanks guys.. loving my Ex-3
Ronnie
www.ramtv.tv

Last edited by Ronnie Martin; July 7th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Ronnie Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

since I do not have a way to compare what I am seeing in my camera, would someone be so kind as to look into their lens and see it there is a slightly red ring around the iris of the stock Ex-3 lens?

Thanks

Ronnie
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't see any on mine.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles... I checked with Sony Service in NJ and they said that they could handle the cleaning of the lens in house without sending it off to the lens company.... So far I have not seen any problem with my footage. I am just worried about that being in the lens. It is just a thin circular redish ring about 2mm wide around the iris of the lens.

Thanks

Ronnie
[url=http://www.ramtv.tv]
[url=http://www.dirtracingvideo.com]
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

One more question... how can I prevent this from happening again? I assume the dust is getting in from the front of the lens... Or could it be the gap where the lens fits to the camera body? Would some good old gaffers tape around the gap at the lens and body connection help? Any ideas of how to prevent dust getting into the camera in dusty conditions?

Thanks

Ronnie
www.ramtv.tv
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Trustee

My EX3 was covered in red dust on my recent trip to Africa, I used a heavy duty blower (Giotto) and a small soft, but stiff, paintbrush to remove dust at the end of each day. Have just taken a close look at the iris blades and there is no dust/red ring on it.

Get a good magnifying glass and make sure it is not rust, otherwise just carry on shooting.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Vincent for your advice. I use a swifter dust cloth during and directly after the shoot trying to catch the dust before it has time to seep into the camera. Then when I am back to where there is AC power I use a vacuum cleaner with a small tip to go aver the cracks and crevices where dust has collected. It has one tool with a small brush and others with a small tips. I am still not sure what I am seeing down in the lens. It could just be paranoia on my part. I have had such good results with the EX-3 and the EX-1 that I really am over protective with my cameras. So far I have not noticed any problem with the footage that I am acquiring except for being way behind on editing it. I am 12 shows into a 20 show commitment and fading fast. When this gig is over I plan to send all the cameras back to Sony in NJ for cleaning and firmware updates.

Thanks again

Ronnie
www.ramtv.tv
Page 1
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Trustee

Ronnie,

I can understand your concerns regarding the red dust on the iris blades, however, if you can't see any problems on the footage then just carry on shooting. I used to keep cameras and lenses spotless too, not a fingerprint or scratch in sight, the only trouble was that I wasn't using my gear as much as I should be. I was too concerned that it would get damaged.

Although today I still look after my equipment, I have become less fussy about keeping it in mint condition, I just enjoy using the gear.

If you want to see what happened to my EX3 after owning it for two months, then take a look here

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...3-useless.html

Have a look at the picture in Post Number 7 or click on the link below

ex3

Don't let a spot or two of dust spoil your enjoyment :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds