DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Image Stabilization ON or OFF on Tripod? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/481488-image-stabilization-off-tripod.html)

Steve Kalle July 6th, 2010 07:39 PM

Image Stabilization ON or OFF on Tripod?

I have heard opposing arguments on whether to have IS turned on while on a tripod. I always keep it on because sometimes I must either zoom all the way in or quickly remove my EX1 and go hand held. Zoomed 90-100%, even my Sachtler FSB 6 isn't as stable as I'd like, in case anyone was wondering about my reasoning.

However, what happens when you pan with IS enabled? I have never seen an issue with my footage, but maybe I have not looked hard enough.

Thoughts?

Chris Hurd July 6th, 2010 08:03 PM

Leaving IS activated on a tripod causes it to fight the intended movement of a pan or zoom, creating a feedback loop which is most often manifested as a bump, a hiccup or a slight slide in the image at the end of the intended move. Not sure if it's been discussed on this board but we must have a dozen threads about this issue on a variety of other camera boards here on DVi.

Steve Kalle July 6th, 2010 09:37 PM

I posted in this forum because the way the IS works is different between manufacturers and models. At least that is how the still camera world is (ie, Canon's IS varies between lenses and so does Nikon's VR). Also, Canon or Nikon has an IS setting for panning.

And I was wondering if Sony/Fujinon's implementation is designed to work on tripods. For example, I think its Canon that has a setting on some lenses for tripod shooting to combat shutter slap.

Charles Newcomb July 6th, 2010 10:45 PM

I sometimes leave IS on if the camera is locked down. It seems to help prevent wind movement or movement from people walking nearby on porches, etc. I don't leave it on while panning or tilting because it makes the image drift slightly.

Chris Hurd July 6th, 2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1545950)
Also, Canon or Nikon has an IS setting for panning...

On still photo lenses -- not video.

Warren Kawamoto July 7th, 2010 04:17 AM

I tried panning and tilting with stabilizer on, and noticed no bothersome drifting or rebounding. So now it's ON full time on my EX1, even on a big Sachtler tripod. I do lots of whip pans and snap zooms, even with IS on. With other cameras on a tripod, pans with IS on was very unpleasant. I love the EX1 stabilizer, I think it's uniquely "mild" by comparison.

Piotr Wozniacki July 7th, 2010 04:32 AM

After some initial intensive testing almost 3 years ago, I switched the IS on my EX1 on and haven't turned it off ever since.

With my style of shooting, I found no problems when shooting from the tripod. And for hand-held shooting, at least it's always ready.

Steve Kalle July 7th, 2010 09:56 AM

Thanks guys. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for - it sounds as though the IS on an EX1 is designed to work on tripods.

Olof Ekbergh July 7th, 2010 10:48 AM

I would be a little cautious.

I once left IS on when shooting a birds nest with my EX1R zoomed all the way in on a tripod, and I forgot to turn it off.

Whenever the birds flew into the frame the whole image shifted. And when the wind moved the branches around the nest, the image shifted a little as well. Luckily I caught the the problem and reshot while still there. And w/o the image stabilization on the shot was perfect.

So there are times when it does not work well, in my experience. And I always turn it off when on sticks, dolly or jib. But I always have it on when on the shoulder, StediCam or fig rig.

Nick Wilson July 7th, 2010 01:09 PM

My experience is that IS does affect camera moves - when you start a slow pan or tilt, there is a noticeable lag before the image starts to move and at the end it catches up. That said, it may actually smooth the start and end of the move but you have to accept that the final framing is not the same as where you end the pan. Definitely agree that if it is windy or the tripod is not on firm ground, IS helps.

John Peterson July 7th, 2010 03:08 PM

Always on for all my cameras. No problems that I can see.

John

Steve Phillipps July 7th, 2010 03:51 PM

Sounds to me that it's possible that the IS on the EX cameras corrects far more for vertical than horizontal movements. This would make sense as this is what's needed most for handheld shooting.
On the Canon HJ40 lens you can turn pan and tilt IS on and off independently, but for me unless it's locked off in the wind then it's a waste of time.
Steve

Oliver Neubert July 7th, 2010 03:57 PM

on my old dvcam 150, I never left IS switched on on a tripod, pans were impossible with IS switched on. on my EX3 it is not as bad, but sometimes I notice that IS is activated when panning. Not that it bothers me so much, but I notice that the move is not exactly as made it.... Then I switch it off.
All in all, it is much more subtle than it used to be in the pd 150 style cameras where pans were terrible with that jumpy stabilizer on.

Mark OConnell July 7th, 2010 04:59 PM

I recently forgot to turn off IS when putting the camera back on the tripod, the result was several ruined panning shots. Bummer. I might try it when locked down in the wind though, that's an interesting idea.

Steve Phillipps July 8th, 2010 03:03 AM

That's the only time I ever use it Mark (on the HJ40). At 1000mm+ it can make a big difference, but as soon as the subject moves you have to turn it off or you start to feel sea-sick!
Steve