DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Exterior changes to ex1r? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/481653-exterior-changes-ex1r.html)

Wes Thomas Greene July 10th, 2010 04:34 AM

Exterior changes to ex1r?

Hi guys,
Considering upgrading our EX1 to an EX1R but wondering if there are any subtle changes to the cameras exterior dimensions and button layouts.

We have a custom water housing for our EX1 which is a perfect fit and all the controls are manual. So any changes in the EX1R would cause us some problems.
The pictures online make it look the same but I wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Wes

Robert Young July 11th, 2010 04:28 PM

Tough question.
I have the EX1R, but sold my EX1, so I can't do a detailed comparison, but as best I can tell:
1) exterior dimensions: There is a change in the handgrip, but the rest of the camera body seems identical.
The handgrip change may place the "record/standby" button, and zoom rocker in a slightly different position relative to your housing.
2) controls: the main operational controls seem to be in exactly the same location. Some of the non-operational buttons like menu have been moved.
I think maybe there is enough difference to be worth the trouble of locating an EX1R for a trial fit.

Wes Thomas Greene July 11th, 2010 04:47 PM

thanks Robert

interesting - this could definiteloy effect our zoom and record functions

I'll be trying to find a EX1R to test it out but it will be difficult and not sure a retailer will want me taking one of their new units and sliding it in - it's a super tight fights and could easily get a scratch or two

cheers
wes

Dave Morrison July 11th, 2010 09:53 PM

One other thing would be the controls under the top handle. On the EX1r, they are proper raised buttons instead of the membrane switches that were on the EX1. Also, there's the new "S&Q" button on the back left side, but you probably won't need that underwater! ;-)

Alister Chapman July 12th, 2010 06:09 AM

The rear of the EX1R is also slightly wider to accommodate the HDMI and other connectors at the rear instead of underneath the hand grip. The position of the tripod mounting holes are also very slightly different.

Bruce Quayle July 12th, 2010 07:08 PM

Hey Wes,

I'm afraid I don't have anything to add to other comments, but I would like to see a pic of your custom underwater housing.

I have an EX1r and want to build a housing for it for use aboard my boat. Don't really want to use it underwater, but I really need some serious protection for some of the conditions I experience "out there".

Would you mind posting a couple of pics for us to look at? Did you build it yourself? Do you have any construction/design suggestions?

Cheers,

Michael C. Williams July 12th, 2010 11:43 PM

Wes,

Where abouts are you? Maybe one of these fine people here on DVinfo with an EX-1R (like me) would meet up with you to see how it fits.

Mike
Seattle, WA area

Wes Thomas Greene July 13th, 2010 03:51 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for tips. Sounds like there's plenty of small changes so I'll definitely have to check if the housing is usuable with the EX1R.

Bruce. Will post some pic in next few days.

Michael. I'm on south coast Victoria Australia. Feel like a holiday?!?
Good idea though. Anyone inn Melbourne?

Thx

Wes Thomas Greene July 13th, 2010 08:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here's some pics of the housing

Custom built by Dave Kelly.

Provides
- on/off power
- zoom
- record
- ND filter select
- manual iris
- focus auto button

Been an awesome housing working 100%. Light and strong, Rated to 10 metres.