DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Traveling light overseas..: Acam:EX1 Bcam:GH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/481789-traveling-light-overseas-acam-ex1-bcam-gh1.html)

Carlo Zanella July 12th, 2010 04:24 PM

Traveling light overseas..: Acam:EX1 Bcam:GH1

In our last trip to Italy to film a special episode of the Santa Fe TV Show, we brought the EX1 and GH1. Hard choice to make, since we left home another EX1 and a fully rigged 7D. As you can see from the show, it was a tough but great choice. We had to work on a limited budget which means, limited crew. The GH1, used with some awareness of it's limits and weakness, intercuts with the EX just beautifully...And not just for a web show, we threw everything on a Blu Ray, and the footage was hard to recognize from camA to camB (except a few shots). We all know that the EX1 is a solid workhorse, delivering great picture quality almost in every circumstance, but the GH1 was quite amazing. The color in general,...if I could choose, I would put the color of the Panny in to the EX1. Just my opinion.
Enjoy!

Sample: e8

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Robert Young July 12th, 2010 07:39 PM

Great shooting and terrific editing- very interesting style & pacing.
Is this a web show? local broadcast TV?

Luben Izov July 13th, 2010 12:20 AM

Thank you

Wonderful!... Well Done!

Carlo Zanella July 13th, 2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 1547953)
Great shooting and terrific editing- very interesting style & pacing.
Is this a web show? local broadcast TV?

Thank you all for your kind comments. Not TV, intentionally just web show.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Chris Medico July 14th, 2010 06:31 AM

Hi Carlo,

How long does it take to edit that together?

Looks great!

Andrew Stone July 14th, 2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella (Post 1547886)
if I could choose, I would put the color of the Panny in to the EX1. Just my opinion.

You can have the Panasonic look of the HVX-200 or 170 by using Andy Shipsides Picture Profiles. You can find them here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1008414

"Cine V" gives you the preprocessed Panny look and "Cine D" is tamer but with more latitude for post color adjustments. They are quite convincing.

Carlo Zanella July 14th, 2010 06:53 PM

Thank yuo!

Thank you Andrew! I will definitely check out the link!!! I am a fan of the Panny color: I just LOVE it!

Chris, that's a very good question. The editing of that piece was a "labor of love". With Vegas Pro9 though, if you are comfortable with that program, it can go pretty quick. On and off about a week. We put A LOT pf production to it.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Chris Medico July 14th, 2010 09:29 PM

Thanks Carlo,

How much did GoPro video from the motorbike chase show the rolling shutter distortion?

I'm using the ContourHD cameras and have to be careful with vibration or I get those waves like I saw on the video with the bike chase.

Chris

Carlo Zanella July 15th, 2010 09:17 AM

You have to be very careful in the placement of the camera and sometimes there is really nothing you can do: the "jello" effect will show. It is, however, an amazing camera. The video quality and the slomo mode (720 60p) this little thing can produce are fantastic (especially thinking that is only $300). Without talking about the underwater filming. In the next episode of the The Santa Fe TV Show we have some more underwater filming, with great results. We even attached this little cam to the steering link tube underneath an off road vehicle, with pebbles and dirt hitting it, with no problem!

I think this could be the perfect camera if they could make a new version with an IS system to address the rolling shutter issue.

Yesterday we shot extreme DH MTB, and we came back with some GREAT stuff. The mode I use almost exclusively is 720p though. More wide angle that 1080p, more options in post.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella