making the switch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

making the switch

I am making the switch from Canon Xh A1's to Sony Ex1's. I'm mostly wondering about how this transition is going to affect my workflow...particularly if I am mixing the XDcam footage with HDV on a FCP time line. Also for those who have used both, what should I expect as far as learning curve? Any other additional info to assist in this transition is much appreciated! Thanks!
Brandon Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Brandon,

You've probably heard of Doug Jensen's training DVD for the EX1 Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

It's a great training vid that will guide you through exactly what your asking about--workflow. Plus, he relates it through a shooter's perspective, which is good.

I've had the DVD for a while, and have watched it a few times. Ironically, I do not own an EX1/R :) Still deciding between the EX1R or the new Canon XF300.

Best,
Old July 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #3
Trustee

"I've had the DVD for a while, and have watched it a few times. Ironically, I do not own an EX1/R :) Still deciding between the EX1R or the new Canon XF300."

I have the Sony EX3 and a Canon XHA1 and on test the new Canon XF305.

Having shot footage on all three cameras I still favour the EX3. Having said that, the new Canon has a lot going for it in terms of technical specifications. I will be shooting all next week with both the EX3 and XF305 and will publish a full review of the camera, together with sample footage on my new web site video-i.com.

On another point, I have been mixing XHa1 footage with EX3 footage in a few of my videos, not real problem other than the time it takes to download the tapes. Having said that, watching a tape download does give you a useful reference as to the content, and the tape is a reasonable backup medium.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Vincent,

Can't wait for your review and write up!

Best,
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

THanks

Yes, cant wait to see the review. If possible, include some clips in low light.
Brandon Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Trustee

Just as a quick forerunner. The Canon XF 305 files need to be converted to to MXF files before you can start to edit them - what's the big deal with that?

I converted the files to MXF using the Canon XF utility and then tried to import them into Adobe Premiere CS4. Unfortunately Premiere CS4 will not recognise them, maybe it's something to do with the 4:2:2 or 50mps Canon files. However, Premiere CS5 will import them without any problem. I also tried to convert the files using QuickTime Pro, but againg I got the message unrecognised file format.

So if you want to edit the XF files you will need CS5. OH, did I mention that you will also need Windows 7 64bit operating system to run Premiere CS5.

The bottom line is that you should allow extra cost to upgrade your system to work with CS5

I can't speak for FCP, Vegas, Avid or other NLE applications, but will look into workarounds.

Will publish the full review in about 10 days time
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Sony Vegas 9 will read the MXF files no problem.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Trustee

Premiere also reads MXF files without any problems, but not Canon XF305/300 MXF files. I haven't checked the Canon files with Vegas, but will do so when I return to my studio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds