EX1 focus went out/IS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 focus went out/IS?

At the end of my wedding on saturday my EX1 lost focus. I had to turn off the camera and turn it back on to recover focus. It was fine when I zoomed in but as soon as I zoomed out I lost the focus. Since then its been fine.Also there is a slight horzontal image slide with IS engaged after a movement.If IS is not engaged there is no image shift. I don't recall seeing this before. The camera has 499 hours on the hours meter.

Should I send it in?
Would updating the firmware help?
Is this normal behavior?
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #2
New Boot

Back Focus is out - Dont panic Fixable!

I saw this video on a blog just yesterday explaining your problem.
It should fix the focusing issue you have.

Let me know how you get on.

Adjusting Back Focus On An XDCAM EX Camera | CineTechnica
Dave Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Wrangler

Is it necessary to put the camera in 60i mode during the FB procedure? I had a couple rentals on a shoot recently and I tried a few times to set the backfocus properly with a large DSC Fiddlehead chart at 12 feet away (about 3 meters as suggested in the manual) and still couldn't get them tack sharp. I hadn't thought to switch from 24p to 60i.
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't see how this has anything to do with back-focus.

Mervin, the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. After 10 minutes of use, my zoom and focus stopped working but was fine after rebooting the camera. Since then, everything has been fine. I also started a thread here when it happened, and everyone said to contact Sony to get it serviced. My Abel Cine sales guy said Sony might just replace the lens because others have had a similar problem but their focus/zoom had completely died.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds