DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Small request for EX1 (not R) owners - picture needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482405-small-request-ex1-not-r-owners-picture-needed.html)

Zoran Vincic July 26th, 2010 07:36 AM

Small request for EX1 (not R) owners - picture needed

Hi guys,

would anyone be kind to take a picture of the viewfinder with the eyepiece magnifier lens taken off?

And post it here offcourse.

thanks

Andrew Stone July 26th, 2010 08:29 AM

You must mean the EX3, as it is the only one with a built in eyepiece.

Zoran Vincic July 26th, 2010 08:37 AM

No, I mean the original EX1, it has a viewfinder too.

I'm just asking a picture of one with the eyepiece removed.

Tim Kolb July 26th, 2010 09:59 AM

Are you afraid you broke it when you slid the eyepiece off?

I can take a pic later today...

Zoran Vincic July 26th, 2010 11:09 AM

just want to see something

thanks

Dave Morrison July 26th, 2010 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go....hope it helps:

Zoran Vincic July 26th, 2010 01:26 PM

thanks Dave

does anybody know what are these blotches around the lcd?

sun burn marks?

Dave Morrison July 26th, 2010 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think they were there from the day I got the camera. They appear to be something that was painted onto the inner part of the eyepiece when they assembled the camera. I looked at it under a loupe and it looks like there were flaws in the metal when the eyepiece was made and somebody had to black out those "dings" with an ink pen or brush of some type. Here's an tighter closeup:

Tim Kolb July 26th, 2010 04:58 PM

Just checked mine out of curiosity...I have them too.

I have never used the viewfinder eyepiece on the camera so it's not like it's been pointed into the sun much, if at all...

When I shoot in New England, I take the eyepiece off so the camera fits in a smaller carry-on bag, and most of the time I never bother to remover the covering I put over it and re-attach the eyepiece.

Odd.

Dave Morrison July 26th, 2010 06:57 PM

I can't figure out HOW they could have had that many chunks knocked out of that eyepiece frame, but under the black marks, you can see small "divots" or dings in the metal. Kinda weird, huh?

Zoran, why did you need the closeups?

Zoran Vincic July 27th, 2010 08:41 AM

well, I bought a second hand EX1 and mine also have these blotches in the viewfinder and I wasn't sure if something was glued there and went loose and missing.

Paul Cronin July 27th, 2010 09:18 AM

I think this is normal, mine also has it and the eye piece has never been off but for inspection. It is not part of what you view so I would not worry about it.

Olof Ekbergh July 27th, 2010 10:33 AM

I think it may be a powder coat finish. Sometimes it is done like that with different color flakes. And they will even appear different thickness.

It is done to corrosion proof the part.

Just my guess.

Tim Kolb July 27th, 2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic (Post 1552477)
well, I bought a second hand EX1 and mine also have these blotches in the viewfinder and I wasn't sure if something was glued there and went loose and missing.

I bought mine brand new and I've never looked at this before...and I see the same thing. It would seem it's a "standard feature" and not a defect of use or abuse...

Your second-hand purchase remains a wise one I'd say.

...I'd also recommend you take a look at the Tiffen T1 far red filter for the EX1. It takes care of the excess red response on black surfaces.