Is there a fixed zoom on the EX1R? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Is there a fixed zoom on the EX1R?

I rented one of these cameras today but could not figure out how to get the grip rocker to perform a fixed speed zoom. I found the top handle zoom Hi/Low speed settings in the menu and they worked fine. But neither the Varizoom Pro EX or grip rocker would do anything other than a variable speed zoom.

Did I miss something?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

No you didn't miss anything. That's how it works.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Les you could use the shot transitions feature to program a fixed zoom and execute from there. However you will be saddled with a fixed zoom range.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

One more thing Les: I use a Manfrotto 521EX lens controller and it has a speed control knob. If you turn it all the way down you get the equivilent of a #10 speed zoom when you engage it.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Eugene....thanks...it's good to know....I am accostomed to the Varizoom PG-L for tripod mounted ops and if I go with an EX1R, I'd get the EX version of the Varizoom. I took fixed speed rocker for granted on from my XH-A1 that does let you run the handgrip rocker in variable or fixed speed mode. Ironically, I don't use the handgrip rocker all that much on the XH-A1 but I would definitely use it more on the EX1R because of the rotating handgrip (of which I am now a big fan). Come to think of it tho, in handheld, I wouldn't zoom while recording that much anyway...just set up the next shot.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I hear you; I also own a Canon XLH1a and at times do appreciate the fixed zoom option. But as you say when shooting hand held one usually zooms to set up a shot. If you go with the Sony EX series check out the Manfrotto 521EX as it does have a zoom speed adjustment, fast zoom buttons, record and replay last clip functions. It also allows you to mount it to just about any kind of jig or fig rig, and is priced reasonably. Anyways, good luck with your next camera choice, and don't get rid of your Canon because it has CCD's instead of CMOS and that can come in handy at times.

Regards, Gene...
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Trustee

I use the Varizoom Pro version that has its own handle and is solid metal, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thing.

FYI, at least with my Varizoom, I can turn the speed dial WHILE zooming in order to perform a perfectly feathered zoom.

I don't know if its me or my EX1, but changing the Hi and Low zoom speed in the menu didn't change much if anything.

On a side note, I rented an EX1r recently and its lens did not stick or judder on slow zooms like my EX1 and so many others.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I don't know if its me or my EX1, but changing the Hi and Low zoom speed in the menu didn't change much if anything.
Ya Steve, I found those settings did nothing until I used the handle zoom. Those menu settings are for the Hi/Lo two speed zoom on the handle. Glad to hear the Varizoom PG EX works well. We're spoiled but we paid a decent chunk of change for it.... :-)
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The zoom settings in the menu affects the zoom on top of the handle, at least on EX1 and I think also on the EX1R.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Trustee

Well, I discovered why the zoom speed wasn't changing - I had the Varizoom plugged in. As soon as I unplugged it, the zoom speed using the rocker did change in speed.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds