ex1/r users, handheld/tripod/monopod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 29th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #1
Major Player

ex1/r users, handheld/tripod/monopod

i see so many people that love this camera. what cameras were you shooting with before? since its so ergonomically not easy to handhold for a long time, i take it most users are going tripod/monopod most of the time.
coming from shooting with a dsr300, ive tried the ex and i have to have a vf to look through especially on a tripod. the vf on the ex is unusable so looking at the lcd all the time im not keen on.
so im leaning to the ex3, hoping that the exmount.com brace will work for it. i would love to have a cam that i can run and gun with but also shoot shoulder mount.
now that sony has their 1/2 inch ex shoulder mount out, i may just go that route, since the other 2 are not the easiest to handhold for long periods.
input welcom
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

The use of a HoodLoop on the EX1 cam turns the LCD into a very good viewfinder. Almost as nice as the EX3.

My cam before the EX3 was the DSR500. And after making a shoulder brace with IDX battery plate for it. I find the EX3 to be just as balanced as the 500, but a lot lighter.

And the HD image quality of the EXcams is terrific.

The EX1 can also benefit from my shoulder brace system. Though if you are going to primarily shoot on the shoulder I would get the EX3.

95% of my shooting is on sticks StediCam various dolly's or tracks. But I do shoot off the shoulder from time to time. If it is just a 15 minute session on the shoulder and them back to the sticks. I like my EX1R with a hoodloop and my short shoulder brace. If it is a longer period of shouldering I will grab my EX3 with the IDX batteries on my brace to balance the cam.

I often use the NanoFlash with the EXcams and it adds 422 recording that really helps for heavy grading projects and it keeps the BBC etc. happy.

Below are a couple photos of the shoulder setups.

If you have any more questions contact me.
olof@westsideav.com
Westside A V Studios WEB Store
Attached Thumbnails
ex1/r users, handheld/tripod/monopod-ex1rsetup.jpg   ex1/r users, handheld/tripod/monopod-ex1rhoodloop.jpg  

Attached Images

Old July 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've used my EX1 almost exclusively on the tripod or the RR shoulder mount, until I got Olof's solution he describes above - and now I'm a happy hand-held shooter, as well!
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I used the EX1r for several hours run and gun. The rotating handgrip is wonderful. It enables handheld shots that that you can't use a traditional handgrip to do. I found it no more wearing to hold in traditional fashion either as the new design does indeed shift the palm more under the camera and the strap stays tight. In fact, the rotating hand grip makes it easier to use handheld for long periods because when I took a rest, I could cradle the camera easily and in a more comfortable position in both arms to hold the weight while relaxing my hand all without taking it off. The handgrip also lets you use your fingers on shots you would otherwise have to use the handle for and only have a thumb for operation.

As mentioned, the Hoodman Loupe may give you the eyepiece on the side that you want. However, the EX1R also has a new VF that is hi-res like the LCD. Again, the rotating handgrip makes it much easier to use the VF than a traditional handgrip/handle because you can hold it better and with less strain at a more comfortable eye level. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Trustee

I find the EX1r to be a little easier to handhold than the original EX1, but still a problem for me.
My most frequent solution to the problem is a monopod. I get very stable shots & not too clumsy to run around with. With the pod collapsed, but still attached, I can still easily do moving/flying shots.
Also, I can remove it with the quick release, toss it over my shoulder, and shoot traditional hand held when needed.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've been using a Manfrotto 561BHDV monopod for the more fluid situations, and I just picked up a new 536 tripod with a 504HD head for the more stationary stuff. I've just received the latter, so I don't have much of an opinion yet, but the 561BHDV monopod has worked well for me. It's made specially for video use. The fluid head is unique to a monopod, so it's not someone that will work on a tripod. There's no rotational damping in the head. Instead, the monpod has three small feet at the bottom, in the middle of which is a damper that smooths out rotational movement. For video shot from my shoulder, I just pop the camera out of the quick release and it's ready to go. There may be better solutions, but I like the control and portability that I have with the monopod, and I have a nagging back injury, so even a balanced shoulder mount isn't an option for extended shooting. The weight limit is 4kg, or nearly 9 pounds, so an EX3 is at the upper limit of the capacity or slightly beyond, but it works for me.

Manfrotto 561BHDV - FLUID VIDEO MONOPOD W/HEAD
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I shoot the vast majority of my work handheld.

My EX1 has a shoulder mount that I cobbled together myself, and I'm using a Hood Loupe viewfinder. That shifts more of the weight to the rear.

Any shoulder mount will help stabilize the camera. The trick is finding one that works for you.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8
New Boot

We've been using the Steddipod (Barbertech Video Products) for a number of years now and have really liked its versatility. I almost exclusively use it for hand-held work. The EX1R is a little heavy for it and you have to be carefull when you let it stand alone as a tripod. But otherwise it is really nice to have a monopod, boom and tripod all in one unit. For long toasts, I put it in tripod mode and boy it is a lot easier on me when the bestman or father decides to give a 15 minute speech and I don't have my regular tripod handy. I can let go completely and relax which you can't do with the Manfrotto.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

JoeO.
Joe Oliverio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Good call Joe. That looks like a nice piece of equipment and I'll have to give it a try.
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Major Player

exmount ...

The exmount looks very interesting. I have the ex3 shoulder mount from DM Accessories and it works fine but ... the exmount would better fit my needs. I don't see it available via their site? Anyone have this?
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Occasionally I wish I had a shoulder mount camera instead of my EXr. But I don't want to go back to lugging around a big camera and the big gear that goes with supporting a larger camera.

I haven't used an EX, but I can get very steady, reliable, handheld shots, with my R. I've moved the baseplate back quite a ways, and can anchor it against my shoulder\chest if need be. Extended periods of handheld work will make my grip thumb throb but muscle memory is starting to catch up.

I only use the vf when lighting conditions don't allow for use of the LCD. That's when peaking and DOF meter are useful tools. It feels weird, but very steady and easy handheld shots are easy when you use the vf as an anchor. Hard to do with eyeglass, though.

I use a tripod for extended interviews, pans, statics, and have invested in a cinesaddle which is a really useful tool.
Nathan Swinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Tourist

EXMount - Custom shoulder mount for PMW-EX3 cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
The exmount looks very interesting. I have the ex3 shoulder mount from DM Accessories and it works fine but ... the exmount would better fit my needs. I don't see it available via their site? Anyone have this?
EXMount.com has updated their site with more product information, pricing and according to the site, on November 7 there was stock available - EXMount.com - EXMount Product Range

I guess if you have questions that aren't answered on the website, you could email mark@exmount.com (thats the contact as listed on the site).
Paul Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Paul, you posted in this EX1/R thread but I don't see any products for the EX1. Am I missing something?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Jim: I've had the EX1R for two months now. It's been a big adjustment from previous cameras. My DV camera is a shoulder-mount JVC GY-DV5000, and previously have used Sony DSR-300A as well as other shoulder-mount cameras going back to dockable Betacams and even S-VHS.
I'm getting better at shooting handheld with the EX1R, but it's nothing like shooting with a heavy shoulder-mount camera. Then again, I totally appreciate how light the EX1R is, and all the other things it offers. I am not missing lugging around my heavy camera bag. I shoot on tripod easily 90% of the time. In time will add a monopod and will try out a shoulder support system like was suggested above by Olof.

The Hoodman LCD attachment loupe is an excellent addition, as was also suggested. It's not perfect but it sure makes shooting handheld a lot better.

Good luck!
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Paul, you posted in this EX1/R thread but I don't see any products for the EX1. Am I missing something?
They don't seem to make the EXMount for the EX1/R. That's a shame. It looks like it would be a really good solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds