HELP - 2CAM EX3 Live Broadcast on Ustream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP - 2CAM EX3 Live Broadcast on Ustream

Hello all, i just got offered a last minute job Broadcasting a Live Rugby Game on the internet using Ustream.

I have never done a live broadcast on ustream or Live multicam switch with EX3 Cameras on a Mac Book Pro.

The client wants a 2Cam Live Mix Broadcast on ustream.

I have 2 Sony EX3 Cameras.
I would also be using a MacBook Pro 2.93 17 inch with 4GB of Ram

My Questions
1. How do i get both Cameras into my MacBook Pro?
2. What Software should i use to Switch the Cameras Live?
3. How do i then get the output of the Software to upload live to Ustream?
4. How would i record the multi cam edit Live for fast turn around on DVD.

Has anyone ever done anything similar to this?

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

THANK YOU
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've done 1 EX cam using Matrox MXO2 into Express port of MacBookPro and Wirecast for the live stream (and have tested with Ustream, Livestream, JustinTV).

Set both cameras to HDV mode.
Add Firewire port to Express port.
Get Wirecast with HDV plugin.

If you want HD-SDI in to laptop the only affordable option I've found is the MXO2 but that's only one camera.
The issue with HDV is it can really tax the processor on the decode side.

Wirecast is an excellent software switcher encoder for live streaming and certainly works with Ustream
Webcasting Software - How Wirecast is used - Telestream

Another alternative is Ustream Producer Pro which is actually a scaled down version of Wirecast but may be good enough.
Ustream Producer: Download the free video streaming desktop application. Broadcast from PC, Mac. Transitions, multiple cameras, picture in picture, HD, H.264

BTW not only can they switch but they can do Picture in Picture so there can be points when you have both cams live. Wirecast can also do Chroma key and record to local hard drive for creating your own archive. I haven't tested on an i7 MacBookPro but it can record to hard drive with AppleProRes for example if you have the codec installed (Final Cut Pro).

BTW since streaming in HD is still rare these days due to the high data rate needed for upstream and downstream, if you wanted to avoid it, you could use two EX1Rs and set them to DV mode. It would be easier on the CPU.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the help. I may be back with more questions.

You've been a huge help i appreciate it.
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have background in all the above.
I was beta tester for Wirecast, Ustream Producer, MXO2. I was testing on an older 2008 MacPro and MacBookPro so your more recent gear should be even more capable.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

BTW one of the challenges is integrating live scoreboards.

The most impressive software I've seen is "Rinxter" which is specific to Roller Derby but they might be willing to modify for a fee.

Data entry is done wirelessly be scorers in the field with iPhones. The data is then keyed over the graphics placed over a green background. That is then sent over LAN to the Desktop Presenter utility in Wirecast and then chroma keyed live over the game. They can bring up lineups, scoring results, live game and live penalty clock.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds