DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   HELP! PROBLEM WITH Sennheiser MKH416 P48 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482695-help-problem-sennheiser-mkh416-p48.html)

Olakunle Olanrewaju July 31st, 2010 01:36 AM

HELP! PROBLEM WITH Sennheiser MKH416 P48

I have sony ex1r with Sennheiser MKH416 but I have discovered that the mic seems not be functioning very well or so it seems to me whenever i tried using it on ex1r (I normally plug it in and switch to phantom power on the camera with switch on channel 1 or 2 put on ext. I have used it once or twice just for testing purposes (i got it like 5weeks ago) but now for no reason to me it will start working and at some other time it will not work and for sometime now I have not been able to make it work. I am suspecting the phantom power either on the camera or the Mic. I tried it on the mixer too without any success, though I am not too sure I know how to use the mixer very well but when I used another mic that does not require phantom power it works directly with the camera and mixer. pls is there anybody with similar experience or am I missing something or I should be thinking of returning the Mic. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Juan McFarland July 31st, 2010 07:08 AM

If you haven't already done so try a different audio cable, most of the time problems like these are cable or operator error (P48 switched off) problems. 416s are extremely reliable mics.

Olakunle Olanrewaju July 31st, 2010 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=Juan McFarland;1554050or operator error (P48 switched off) problems. [/QUOTE]

pls what do you mean by '(P48 switched off)' there is no "on and off" switch on the Mic pls can you make more clarification on that and as soon I can get another cable i will test again but the cable I am using was purchased with the mic from B&H Sennheiser Deluxe Shotgun Microphone Kit - B&H Photo Video. but for the sake of testing it again I will get another cable.

Thanks I really appreciate your comments. I still expect that some other guys arround will still try and help.

Gary Oldknow August 1st, 2010 02:51 AM

I have a similar problem.
XLR 1 wont work with dynamic mics, XLR 2 works fine.
its an intermittant fault that I think is with the phantom power.

as a work around you can pick up battery powered inline phantom power modules for around $30

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 1st, 2010 03:49 AM

Thanks Gary but do you know of any phantom power module that works with MKH 416. I might be willing to give it a try because it will be very expensive for me to send the Mic back especially if there is nothing wrong with it.

Gary Oldknow August 1st, 2010 05:35 PM

my understanding is phantom power is universal for all XLR mics.
any unit will do, just get something small and battery powered.

My EX1 got dropped and when they fixed it they messed up the phantom power.
problem is I didn't notice until the 3 month repair warrantee was up.
wont be going back there...

Dave Morrison August 1st, 2010 09:29 PM

I hope your problem is just a simple cable issue. However, I'm not sure how much power the EX1 actually puts out in terms of milliamps. I have to assume that it's giving the full 48v, but you never know. I've been using a Sennheiser MKH60 short shotgun with my EX1 without problems. Just be aware that different mics have different current demands as can be seen with this listing on the Sound Devices site:

Sound Devices: Microphone Phantom Powering

dave

Marc Myers August 2nd, 2010 08:38 AM

I use 416 all the time. No trouble.

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 2nd, 2010 11:38 AM

I just took the mic to another audio guy today and we just plug in the mic and it starts working we did not even touch anything so I am now wondering what is happening, I am still trying to see if its possible for me to recreate the problem. But for now I want to thank everybody for all the advice, i really appreciate the forum and the willingness to help once againg thank you all!

NB: And if there is any development I will keep you updated.

Bruce Rawlings August 2nd, 2010 12:01 PM

I have a 416 and it works fine with the EX1. Do try another cable if you have not done so.

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 12th, 2010 10:39 AM

UPDATE HELP! PROBLEM WITH Sennheiser MKH416 P48

I Just bought another rather cheap Mic today as the sennheiser MKH416 P48 continues to fail randomly both with camera and on Mixer the only problem I have now is that the pattern is not repeatable but the new mic works with phantom and battery without any problems though the sound quality is very very low but I need it untill I sought out the problem with MKH 416. Pls what is your advice do I return the mic immediately to either B&H or Sennheiser I am not used to this type of things, I bought the mic as part of a kit from B&H, the other parts of the kits are ok except the mic. your input will be very helpful.thks.

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 12th, 2010 11:08 AM

Just spoke with B&H product help here is the transcript.

You have been connected to Kevin C.
Olanrewaju Olakunle : I have problem with a sennheiser MKH 416P48 I recently bought from B&H. It randomly fails on Sony ex1r and my mixer. I bought as part of a kit Sennheiser Deluxe Shotgun Microphone Kit - Includes: MKH-416 Shotgun Microphone
Kevin C: Hello Olanrewaju Olakunle. My name is Kevin. How can I help you ?
Olanrewaju Olakunle: I have problem with a sennheiser MKH 416P48 I recently bought from B&H. It randomly fails on Sony ex1r and my mixer. I bought as part of a kit Sennheiser Deluxe Shotgun Microphone Kit - Includes: MKH-416 Shotgun Microphone
Kevin C: One moment, please.
Olanrewaju Olakunle: what can I do I am from Nigeria
Kevin C: When did you buy this mic?
Olanrewaju Olakunle: from B&H
Olanrewaju Olakunle: June this year
Kevin C: I'm sorry, our return period has passed. This is a warranty issue, for which you should contact Sennheiser
Kevin C: Web:
Sennheiser USA - Headphones and Headsets - Microphones

Phone:
860-434-9190
Olanrewaju Olakunle: Wow !! I tried contacting them but I have not gotten a reply
Kevin C: That is unfortunate.
Olanrewaju Olakunle: Is there any other option available for me
Kevin C: Not that I know of.
Olanrewaju Olakunle: And If I may ask are aware of any issue that I may need to know concerning phantom power for MKH 416
Kevin C: It requires 48 volt phantom power.
Olanrewaju Olakunle: yes I know but the phantom power seems not to be working on this particular one
Kevin C: What are you using to provide the power?
Olanrewaju Olakunle: sony ex1r and sometimes my mixer and same thing happens on both
Kevin C: Then you have a defective mic.
Olanrewaju Olakunle: well ok thanks I will after to go through the option of sending to sennheiser, though it will be very expensive from nigeria
Kevin C: Sorry your mic went bad.
Olanrewaju Olakunle: thanks for your time

Juan McFarland August 12th, 2010 12:04 PM

Just trying to eliminate variables....

Does your mic have "P48" printed on the side of it & not "12T" (or something similar?). Just want to be sure your mic is Phantom 48 not T powered.

Fyi, "T" powering is different from Phantom (P) powering. The correct powering must be used with your mic.

Juan McFarland August 12th, 2010 12:10 PM

Is you mixer set correctly to output P48 power? Some mixers can switch between 12 and 48, namely the Shure FP33.

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 12th, 2010 12:13 PM

It is P48 and my mixer output p48 and Sony ex1r also output P48