DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Green colour from EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482729-green-colour-ex1.html)

Greg Hawkes July 31st, 2010 03:53 PM

Green colour from EX1

I was filming guests arriving at a wedding. I stopped for around five minutes to set up a second
camera for the ceremony. When I switched on the original EX1 again the LCD was showing a
live green picture.
Thinking I had somehow accidentally upset the LCD picture settings I output the colour bars
which showed correctly.

I switched the camera off and on again same result.

Later I tried again same result.

When I got home I tried again this time the camera showed the correct colour picture.

Anbody had this happen to them?
Any ideas?

I feel I need to have the camera checked by a Sony engineer as this may happen again.

Felix Halter August 1st, 2010 08:03 AM

This happened to me two days ago on an Ex1 (2 1/2 years old) when moving the camera the screen turned all green. I did not check the viewfinder. I just turned it off and on again and everything was fine. Kind of scary.

Marcus Durham August 1st, 2010 10:33 AM

Yep, mine also did this once. Turned it off and on again and the problem went away. Never seen it since and not since I did the firmware update.

Remember the EX1 is a computer at heart with software that it is running. Computers can do odd things from time to time and so can EX1's.

Warren Kawamoto August 1st, 2010 10:38 AM

I also experienced this with one of the first EX-1's that came out. When I switched the ND filter from 0 to 2, my picture suddenly turned bright green. When I powered down/up, it was still green. I powered down/up again, and it was ok. This happened last week for the first time. Hasn't happened again so far.

Greg Hawkes August 2nd, 2010 02:31 AM

Many thanks guys. Good to know it has happened to other cameras and it would seem to be temporary problem.

Chad Johnson August 2nd, 2010 12:43 PM

This sometimes happens if you do a wight balance with the exposure too high. In that case the fix is to iris down and do another WB.

Vaughan Wood August 2nd, 2010 05:38 PM

This happens on one of my original EX 1's ever since I had the first firmware upgrade, but under slightly different circumstances. If I rec. review a clip on the LCD, then close the LCD, the viewfinder will sometimes turn solid green, but I have learnt that if I extract out the LCD and tuck it in again, things return to normal.
Just wondering if this happens to others after they review a clip on the LCD.

Cheers,

Vaughan

Hiram Yates August 3rd, 2010 07:09 AM

I've never ran into this happening to me but I'm very curious to know if anyone has rolled when this happened? If so, was the clip also green or did it record fine and it was just something buggy with the LCD screen?

Greg Hawkes August 3rd, 2010 11:06 AM

The clip records green.

Jamie Roberts August 6th, 2010 04:17 AM

This happened to me a couple of times when I first got my EX1 when I white balanced against a very bright white wall. My exposure might have been too high. It wasnt a problem though. I white balanced against another less bright wall and it was fine. Used the camera very happily without a hitch for many many hours since.

Leonard Levy August 6th, 2010 08:54 PM

I' ve seen it once but turned camera on and off and it went away. Scared the utter XXXX out f me though and I would love to know what it was.