DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony's VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support: anybody have this item? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482855-sonys-vct-sp2bp-camcorder-shoulder-support-anybody-have-item.html)

William Griffin August 3rd, 2010 06:33 PM

Sony's VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support: anybody have this item?

Does anybody have one of these things as I want to get one for my EX-3? feedback please?

William Griffin August 3rd, 2010 10:34 PM

link of shoulder mount

Sony VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support VCT-SP2BP - B&H Photo

John Peterson August 4th, 2010 06:50 AM

I don't have one, but there are three User Reviews over at B&H.

Sony VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support VCT-SP2BP - B&H Photo

John

Dean Harrington August 4th, 2010 07:08 AM

expensive ...

It's simple and straight forward but ... you might find that it is not better than the 'El Cheapo' out of India. I have a number of these different mounts and I'm still looking for the ideal. My next mount for my EX3 may very well be the eXmount ... if I can get a price quote that is?

Andrew Stone August 4th, 2010 03:07 PM

Dean have you heard anything about an ETA on the unit?

Dean Harrington August 4th, 2010 03:11 PM

eXmount ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1555550)

Not a word on dates or price.

William Griffin August 4th, 2010 03:20 PM

Yes, I also have written the guy about the EXMount...but no answer on price or when he will get it on the market...if any of you out there do get information about his new mount..please post it on here for the rest of us. I was set on getting the DM shoulder rig, but I can't wait for ever on the ExMount.

Bill Griffin
DP/Cameraman
Dallas Video Producer Services

Craig Seeman August 5th, 2010 09:30 AM

An EX1 user elsewhere posted this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/210200-REG/Davis_Sanford_SS3C.htmlHe noted it works very well with the EX1. It goes down to the waist and has a waist belt. The one issue is that there have been some quality control issues. He had to return the first one. A few of the reviews note equivalent issues I believe. Given the price it looks like a competitor to "El Cheapo" but Davis & Sandford is distributed by Tiffen.

Despite the photo and the skeletal nature of the thing it's rated to support 30lbs!

Robert Young August 5th, 2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1555797)
An EX1 user elsewhere posted this
Davis & Sanford Steady Stick Compact SS3C - B&H Photo Video
He noted it works very well with the EX1. It goes down to the waist and has a waist belt. The one issue is that there have been some quality control issues. He had to return the first one. A few of the reviews note equivalent issues I believe. Given the price it looks like a competitor to "El Cheapo" but Davis & Sandford is distributed by Tiffen.

Despite the photo and the skeletal nature of the thing it's rated to support 30lbs!

I do an even cheaper version of the Davis & Sanford concept.
Using one of my light weight monopods, I collapse it to the appropriate length and just stick the end in the belt/waistband of my pants. It works surprisingly well- not as steady as having the pod on the ground, but much better than pure handheld.

Zsolt Gordos August 5th, 2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 1555352)
it is not better than the 'El Cheapo' out of India.

This is plain BS. I have broken 2 El Cheapos and been swearing all the time when used them. It is not about being against budget Asian products (my iPhone is made in China anyways).

The El Cheapo has horrible screws and bolts, actually you cant tighten them. In critical moments the cam support part starts turning around or flip. There is no way to put down the cam once this cr@p is mounted on it - if you want to rest or just pause in shooting, you will have to lay the cam down on the side.

Forget El Cheapo, it only has a "fame" because Phil Bloom happened to use it for 15 minutes and wrote some blogs about his experience (while the bolt was still tight).

The Sony's VCT-SP2BP on the other hand is a very well designed and easy to use tool. You can put it in action in seconds and leaving it on the cam is not at all disturbing. It acts a flat surface support when you need to put down the cam.

There is only one thing in common for El Cheapo and Sony's VCT-SP2BP - you get what you paid for. If you need a reliable tool that allows you hassle free steady shots from shoulder, get the Sony's VCT-SP2BP.

Dean Harrington August 5th, 2010 04:04 PM

eXmount ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1555550)

Just got this from Mark Rule at Jimmy Jib.

"Hi,

We're currently doing a run of the mounts - so it shouldn't be too much longer before they are available.

I can let you know when they are ready - and the price, once that is finalised.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Mark"

Dan Martland August 5th, 2010 08:38 PM

Yeah, I bought one for my Ex1r about 2 months ago. Pretty happy with it when shooting handheld. But it doesn't do a great of sitting on a tripod. There seems to be a bit of play in the whole set up, it seems to wobble around with the slightest touch. Not good if you are at the long end of the lens as you really see it.
If anyone can think of a solution I would be happy to hear it.

John Peterson August 6th, 2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 1555855)
I do an even cheaper version of the Davis & Sanford concept.
Using one of my light weight monopods, I collapse it to the appropriate length and just stick the end in the belt/waistband of my pants. It works surprisingly well- not as steady as having the pod on the ground, but much better than pure handheld.

Yes,

This concept works well and is based upon the Steady Stick design:

Wearing a cheap black waist pouch (fanny pack)

Amerileather Assorted Colors Leather Fanny Packs | Overstock.com

......you can stick a monopod into it while shooting. The monopod can be fitted with a swivel / tilt head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html

.....and a Shoulder Brace

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html

Great setup for your existing monopod and an additional $75 or so.

John

Dan Asseff August 6th, 2010 07:53 AM

I don't have an EX1 but a NX5 and use this pouch to put my support in.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554102-REG/Manfrotto_080.html

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Paul Rule December 13th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Griffin (Post 1555558)
Yes, I also have written the guy about the EXMount...but no answer on price or when he will get it on the market...if any of you out there do get information about his new mount..please post it on here for the rest of us. I was set on getting the DM shoulder rig, but I can't wait for ever on the ExMount.

Bill Griffin
DP/Cameraman
Dallas Video Producer Services

On November 7 there was stock available - EXMount.com - EXMount Product Range lists prices and configurations.

The contact listed on the website is mark@exmount.com - you could email to confirm availability/order.