Sony's VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support: anybody have this item? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony's VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support: anybody have this item?

Does anybody have one of these things as I want to get one for my EX-3? feedback please?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Major Player

link of shoulder mount

Sony VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support VCT-SP2BP - B&H Photo
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't have one, but there are three User Reviews over at B&H.

Sony VCT-SP2BP Camcorder Shoulder Support VCT-SP2BP - B&H Photo

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Major Player

expensive ...

It's simple and straight forward but ... you might find that it is not better than the 'El Cheapo' out of India. I have a number of these different mounts and I'm still looking for the ideal. My next mount for my EX3 may very well be the eXmount ... if I can get a price quote that is?
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Dean have you heard anything about an ETA on the unit?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Major Player

eXmount ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Not a word on dates or price.
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes, I also have written the guy about the EXMount...but no answer on price or when he will get it on the market...if any of you out there do get information about his new mount..please post it on here for the rest of us. I was set on getting the DM shoulder rig, but I can't wait for ever on the ExMount.

Bill Griffin
DP/Cameraman
Dallas Video Producer Services
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

An EX1 user elsewhere posted this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/210200-REG/Davis_Sanford_SS3C.htmlHe noted it works very well with the EX1. It goes down to the waist and has a waist belt. The one issue is that there have been some quality control issues. He had to return the first one. A few of the reviews note equivalent issues I believe. Given the price it looks like a competitor to "El Cheapo" but Davis & Sandford is distributed by Tiffen.

Despite the photo and the skeletal nature of the thing it's rated to support 30lbs!
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
An EX1 user elsewhere posted this
Davis & Sanford Steady Stick Compact SS3C - B&H Photo Video
He noted it works very well with the EX1. It goes down to the waist and has a waist belt. The one issue is that there have been some quality control issues. He had to return the first one. A few of the reviews note equivalent issues I believe. Given the price it looks like a competitor to "El Cheapo" but Davis & Sandford is distributed by Tiffen.

Despite the photo and the skeletal nature of the thing it's rated to support 30lbs!
I do an even cheaper version of the Davis & Sanford concept.
Using one of my light weight monopods, I collapse it to the appropriate length and just stick the end in the belt/waistband of my pants. It works surprisingly well- not as steady as having the pod on the ground, but much better than pure handheld.
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
it is not better than the 'El Cheapo' out of India.
This is plain BS. I have broken 2 El Cheapos and been swearing all the time when used them. It is not about being against budget Asian products (my iPhone is made in China anyways).

The El Cheapo has horrible screws and bolts, actually you cant tighten them. In critical moments the cam support part starts turning around or flip. There is no way to put down the cam once this cr@p is mounted on it - if you want to rest or just pause in shooting, you will have to lay the cam down on the side.

Forget El Cheapo, it only has a "fame" because Phil Bloom happened to use it for 15 minutes and wrote some blogs about his experience (while the bolt was still tight).

The Sony's VCT-SP2BP on the other hand is a very well designed and easy to use tool. You can put it in action in seconds and leaving it on the cam is not at all disturbing. It acts a flat surface support when you need to put down the cam.

There is only one thing in common for El Cheapo and Sony's VCT-SP2BP - you get what you paid for. If you need a reliable tool that allows you hassle free steady shots from shoulder, get the Sony's VCT-SP2BP.
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Major Player

eXmount ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Just got this from Mark Rule at Jimmy Jib.

"Hi,

We're currently doing a run of the mounts - so it shouldn't be too much longer before they are available.

I can let you know when they are ready - and the price, once that is finalised.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Mark"
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Tourist

Yeah, I bought one for my Ex1r about 2 months ago. Pretty happy with it when shooting handheld. But it doesn't do a great of sitting on a tripod. There seems to be a bit of play in the whole set up, it seems to wobble around with the slightest touch. Not good if you are at the long end of the lens as you really see it.
If anyone can think of a solution I would be happy to hear it.
Dan Martland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I do an even cheaper version of the Davis & Sanford concept.
Using one of my light weight monopods, I collapse it to the appropriate length and just stick the end in the belt/waistband of my pants. It works surprisingly well- not as steady as having the pod on the ground, but much better than pure handheld.
Yes,

This concept works well and is based upon the Steady Stick design:

Wearing a cheap black waist pouch (fanny pack)

Amerileather Assorted Colors Leather Fanny Packs | Overstock.com

......you can stick a monopod into it while shooting. The monopod can be fitted with a swivel / tilt head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html

.....and a Shoulder Brace

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html

Great setup for your existing monopod and an additional $75 or so.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Major Player

I don't have an EX1 but a NX5 and use this pouch to put my support in.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554102-REG/Manfrotto_080.html

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #15
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin View Post
Yes, I also have written the guy about the EXMount...but no answer on price or when he will get it on the market...if any of you out there do get information about his new mount..please post it on here for the rest of us. I was set on getting the DM shoulder rig, but I can't wait for ever on the ExMount.

Bill Griffin
DP/Cameraman
Dallas Video Producer Services
On November 7 there was stock available - EXMount.com - EXMount Product Range lists prices and configurations.

The contact listed on the website is mark@exmount.com - you could email to confirm availability/order.
Paul Rule is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds