DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1/R Camera Cradle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482976-ex1-r-camera-cradle.html)

Kent Beeson August 6th, 2010 10:47 AM

EX1/R Camera Cradle?

Hi

Anyone use one of those Camera Cradle, saddles for their EX1R? I'm interested in the IKAN version, but the reviews on B&H are very negative...anyone know of a good one for under $100? Or what do you recommend?

Kevin Spahr August 6th, 2010 04:24 PM

I went to a sporting goods store and bought a "sand bag" used for resting a rifle on. I believe it was made by Red Head. I then went to a craft store and bought plastic beads to fill the bag. It is very light weight and I clip it to my belt loop so I can have it with me all the time. It works great with my EX3. I just mush my camera into it and it stays put quite nicely - cost me under $50.

Bob Jackson August 6th, 2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent Beeson (Post 1556181)
Hi

Anyone use one of those Camera Cradle, saddles for their EX1R? I'm interested in the IKAN version, but the reviews on B&H are very negative...anyone know of a good one for under $100? Or what do you recommend?

I use a cine saddle and love it.

Kent Beeson August 6th, 2010 08:50 PM

Cine Saddle sounds fine, but at $375 or more, can't do it. I've actually used one of those small, cheap purple bead pillows and a book cart and it worked pretty good, but really I need something more pro, of course. Is there no option but the IKAN version for under $100.

John Peterson August 7th, 2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1556302)
I went to a sporting goods store and bought a "sand bag" used for resting a rifle on. I believe it was made by Red Head. I then went to a craft store and bought plastic beads to fill the bag. It is very light weight and I clip it to my belt loop so I can have it with me all the time. It works great with my EX3. I just mush my camera into it and it stays put quite nicely - cost me under $50.

Not bad. I see gun rest bags come in lots of shapes with lots of manufacturers.

Shooters Ridge Leather Rear Sand Bag Filled

John

John Peterson August 7th, 2010 08:32 AM

Message deleted by user.

John Peterson August 7th, 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent Beeson (Post 1556374)
Cine Saddle sounds fine, but at $375 or more, can't do it. I've actually used one of those small, cheap purple bead pillows and a book cart and it worked pretty good, but really I need something more pro, of course. Is there no option but the IKAN version for under $100.

Someone made their own CineSaddle here:

He describes how he made it in the Q&A below the video.

Dave Morrison August 7th, 2010 10:21 AM

I took an old pair of worn out jeans, cut off one of the legs and stitched the ends shut after filling it with plastic pellets from the craft store. Works incredibly well and can toss the thing in the washing machine when it gets soiled after ground-level shots.

Lonnie Bell August 7th, 2010 10:28 AM

I use the Low Rider from Digital Juice and love it - they're on sale now too:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products...s.asp?pid=1151

Kevin Spahr August 7th, 2010 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The one I have is close to 12" long and weighs just over one ounce. It is so easy to have it hanging by your side all the time. Sand might have its good points but it is just too heavy to carry all day. I don't think I would be brave enough to use it strapped to a moving car, but that one on Vimeo looks like the ticket for that kind of use!

John Peterson August 8th, 2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell (Post 1556514)
I use the Low Rider from Digital Juice and love it - they're on sale now too:

The LowRider :: Digital Juice

You have to buy $100 worth of Digital Juice products to get the sale price. That's $200 all together.

John

Lonnie Bell August 8th, 2010 09:01 AM

John - if you add it to your cart with no other purchases it's $169 - That's what I paid and it's worth every penny.

I have a large shoulder mounted rig and instead of trying to finess it off and on a tripod everytime I need a break or rest - I can just plop it down on this special "pillow", in addition to all the other uses you see in the demo...

Good Luck,
Lonnie

Jim Watt August 8th, 2010 07:35 PM

Ikan bag

I have a large Cine Saddle and one of Ikan's bags. Not really in the same league, but it really doesn't take sewing genius to make a professional level bag similar to the Cine Saddle but less expensive. If you have the time.

With a Cine Saddle you still need to buy more beads to fill it from time to time because the beads mash down. We've found that a cheap bean bag at some chain store will get you 10 years worth of replacement beads. In the end you really are better off spending the money for a quality product, which is of course the Cine Saddle.

Good Luck...jw

Kent Beeson August 8th, 2010 08:27 PM

Thanks to everyone for great and very helpful responses...I like the cine saddle as best bet but the Digi Juice seems like it may be a real option.

Thanks for all the help.
K

John Peterson August 9th, 2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell (Post 1556772)
John - if you add it to your cart with no other purchases it's $169 - That's what I paid and it's worth every penny.
Lonnie

Lonnie,

The only reason I mentioned it to the other posters was because you said it was on sale, but when I looked it said that one had to buy $100 worth of other stuff to get the sale price. It was just for clarification. Unless $169 is also a sale price - not sure? What is the retail price for it?

John