small "carry-on" size case for EX-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

small "carry-on" size case for EX-1?

Hi there,
I'm doing a bunch of travelling. Can people recommend the smallest Portabrace case I can get, that will take the camera with a wide-angle lens attached, and two batteries, and, say, the AC adapter (I have to be able to shoot in the event that my checked cases don't arrive)... that fits the standard carry-on dimensions?
Thanks very much,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi again,
I think a fairly standard rule for maximum carry-on is:

Maximum size:
23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
(9 in x 16 in x 22 in)
Wheels and handles included.

Maximum weight:
10 kg (22 lb)

I see that Portabrace (which I think is a good company) has a whole selection of what they call "Carry On"

PortaBrace - Cases and Bags: Cameras - Video:Carry On Camera Cases

but I'd like to get some real-world experience from EX-1 owners before I pay for something that I won't see until I get it in the mail.
Regards, Malcolm
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

I use the Portabrace CS-DV4 for my EX1. No wheels on this one.

For my EX3 I have an old Portabrace Smuggler, I love this bag it compresses for carry on, and then expands to hold a Betacam even in a runbag configuration. Pockets and compartments expand by unzipping. And it is a very square hard case. I don't think PB makes it anymore, a pity, it is a great bag and one of the few that will hold an EX3 or full size cam in carry on configuration. It is very rugged and solid.
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Olaf,
I've got the Portabrace CS-DV4 too, but it seems waaaaayyy too large to fit under the seat in the kind of planes I fly (from Dash-8s to whatever-jets), and too big for the compartment above as well. I suppose if I took everything out of the pockets the case would shrink drastically (and I could do that for the flight, then reload when I land), but even then, with just my EX-1, two batteries and my AC adapter (I can carry my SxS cards in my shirt pocket), it seems like it would be too large.
I've never heard of the 'Smuggler'... sounds like something the airlines would want to pull you out of line for... I just checked the Portabrace site, and you're right, there are "no results" for the search.
Regards, Malcolm

P.S. can you carry on the EX-1 batteries? I remember someone saying, a couple years ago, that some airlines wouldn't let you do this, but I think I've carried them on in the last few years.
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We travel with a Petrol PWB-HDV for our Z5Ps (fit EX1/R no probs), but this bag is probably the absolutely largest you'd get away with. Fits in overhead baggage locker fine on bigger jets (airbus A330) but a squeeze on the Dash 8 prop planes (or not as the case may be - I can't recall)
I researched and decided on the PCUB-HD for the EX1R with room for PXUMS240, PHU120R, couple of radio mics etc, but I would probably need to swap EX1R into the HDV bag if flying and leave some of the back-up storage out.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Mark, thanks very much... that's valuable information. I'm curious about the second bag you mention (PCUB-HD), which is made for (amongst others) the EX-3.
If the EX-3 can fit in there, would an EX-1?
(I've never held an EX-3, and don't know how it compares in size to an EX-1).
Regards,
Malcolm
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I use the Portabrace CS-DV4 for my EX1. No wheels on this one.

For my EX3 I have an old Portabrace Smuggler, I love this bag it compresses for carry on, and then expands to hold a Betacam even in a runbag configuration. Pockets and compartments expand by unzipping. And it is a very square hard case. I don't think PB makes it anymore, a pity, it is a great bag and one of the few that will hold an EX3 or full size cam in carry on configuration. It is very rugged and solid.
That should be still around (now called SMG-2), I used it for my PDW and now PMW-350. I would just wish, that the antennas of the slot in-receiver had some more place. I had the receiver in a WR-855 box before attached "to the end" of the camera, where the reciever sat much lower not interfering with the hight of the smuggler case.

I was hoping to be able to replace my antennas (sennheiser EK-3041) with some antennas one could just flip down if needed. But I've been told those are not compatible with my receiver. That's the only drawback. Great - but expensive case - in all other regards.

Stephan
Stephan Hubenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Major Player

I use a kata CC 191.

The EX1 just BARELY fits...small stuff like data cards, etc around it in the cavities...take off the rear eyepiece and cover the VF.

I put the battery charger and other smallish stuff in my wheelie carry-on.

What you have to take into account is the major airlines have major airplanes...the connecting flights are run by feeder airlines with teensy planes. You may book a big airline, but you may have a connecting flight on something that resembles a private jet without the luxury, headroom, or stowage...

I've seen a lot of people in airports feverishly working to remove fragile items from cases that were the right size for the first plane they flew on, and too big for the second.

The Kata cc 191 fits in the overhead compartment of a Canadair Regional Jet...it makes me smile every time I board one.

I use a bigger case for everyday work of course...
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Major Player

thanks Stephan for the heads up re the SMG-2 (aka Smuggler) — I've emailed Portabrace for more info (eg., ext. dimensions) — and Tim, I'll look into the Kata as well. Very good point, Tim, about how different planes may well have different rules re what constitues "carry on".
Regards, Malcolm
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Major Player

I've had this Portabrace since the day I bought the EX1 and it's great:

PortaBrace - Product Detail:DVO-1RQS-M4

I don't think you'd have any problem getting this into an overhead.

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I know you're saying that you're looking for Port-a-Brace, but if you're really just looking for a case there's also the Pelican 1510 which I have used to take my EX1 flying many times... Fits great into the overhead bins, plenty of room for the camera and whatever accessories you're wanting to take along...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_1510_000_110_1510_Carry_On_Case.html
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Mark, thanks very much... that's valuable information. I'm curious about the second bag you mention (PCUB-HD), which is made for (amongst others) the EX-3.
If the EX-3 can fit in there, would an EX-1?
(I've never held an EX-3, and don't know how it compares in size to an EX-1).
Regards,
Malcolm
It's actually a bit big for the EX1/R, the EX3 is wider because of the viewfinder/LCD on the LHS. I took the dimensions from the EX1R manual and matched it with bags on the Petrol site...in hindsight the PCUB-HD perhaps a little too roomy...but I had all those Sony access + potentially PDW-U1 XD CAM drive, UHF radio kits, AJA i/o express, Bebob zoom etc. I travel by road and air sometimes so the bigger bags handy for the car.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I have the Kata CC193 for my EX3. It just barely fits, but it's the perfect carry-on size (I'm an airline pilot, so I carry it on many different size birds), and has a slide pocket to go over the handle of your roller-board overnight case. I think someone else has used this for the EX-1R, and it should fit perfectly. Great quality bag, and not too expensive. Good luck...
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #14
Major Player

I use a Kata cc193 as my everyday bag for my EX1...good space inside it for accessories.

However, the cc191 is a tight fit into the overhead on a CRJ or Embraier overhead...I don't think I'd have a prayer to get the cc193 (both wider and taller) in those little things. And the cc193 will stick out if you attempt to shove it under even a large airliner seat in front of you...something they are frowning on more and more.

The Porta Brace mentioned earlier looks like the right size for the teensy plane overheads as well...8 inches is about all you have, and even then, some flex in the case is helpful to get it through the access as it's often smaller than the compartment itself.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #15
Major Player

In case anyone's interested... after all the advice re portabrace, etc., which I really appreciated, I had a very different thought. And here's what I ended up doing.
I got a fairly run-of-the-mill carry-on suitcase from a local luggage shop. Does it have all sorts of special places and pockets for my gear? No. Or at least, it didn't when I bought it. But it does now. I added foam, and cut out spaces for my camera and other key gear.
So now I can roll through airports (notice I said "roll"; this thing has an extendable handle and wheels) with everything I need (camera, batteries, charger, SxS cards, RF mics x 2, headphones, even my little Canon HFS10 as a second unit), knowing that I can shoot if (god forbid) my checked gear doesn't show up at the next airport. And since I'm carrying it on, it doesn't matter if it's not bullet-proof.
I'll try to include a couple pix.
Cheers, Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
small "carry-on" size case for EX-1?-case-1.jpg   small "carry-on" size case for EX-1?-case-2-.jpg  

Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds