settings for sunrise and sunset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Major Player

settings for sunrise and sunset

I got lost in all the possible PP settings for my EX3 and just chose for the settings as recommended by the BBC. Filming outdoors I usually keep the whitebalance fixed at 5600K. However, when shooting sunrise or sunset I find the result somewhat 'dirty' yellowish, instead of the clear, warm, red colors I experienced with my previoues, much cheaper camera's. It is about impossible to play with the whitebalace to correct this, since there is no way to choose your own settig (is there?) other than adjusting with help of the auto balance. And that takes out all the beauty of the sunrise, since it tries to correct the red effect of the sun. Any recommendations?
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

This is one time when a matte box really shines. I always bring the case with it, and my collection of 4x4 filters, but it often stays in the truck.

And a few Tiffen or similar graduated filters really shines. Even dull sunsets can become spectacular.

My favorite is the Tiffen Sunset filter. Moving it up and down in the matte box can really change the shot.

Of course this can be done in post these days, but it is really fun to play with in the field. And a good location monitor is great for checking shot and impressing the field producer, when applicable.

To use them either stay on 56K or balance before putting filter in. A lot of times I balance 30 minutes before sunset and then keep shooting with that setting.

As far as PP's go I have just settled on one I use most of the time, it is very similar to and based on the settings from the Vortex field guide, a must have for anyone using an EXcam in my opinion.
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Trustee

I believe you can make a "Sunset" PP and enter any WB temp you desire.
I would expect a higher temp (e.g. 6400K) to restore the deep reds
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Robert and Olof. Both answers are valuable. I did not realize that within a PP setting you can manually change the WB setting. That makes a big difference.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds