What is a good B camera for XDCAM EX? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #16
Sponsor: Westside AV

I posted this A/B of 5DmkII and EX3 yesterday:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ompatible.html
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:28 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Just been looking through consumer products for back-up cam and one we can send to employees to shoot their own video. Shooting HVR-Z5P and EX1R I'd want something that could be edited with these, has mic-in/cold-shoe, headphone and controls for WB, exposure, shutter and a reasonably wide angle of view.

Intrigued by Panasonic HDC-SD700-K for about AUD1200 as it offers 1080p50 28Mbps VBR recording, it's 35mm equivalent is 35-420mm.
The disadvantage is for DVD use an interlace 1080i25 would be sensible mode, but Panasonic mode is 17Mbps vs the 24Mbps high-quality 1080i25 mode Canon etc.

Other spec sheets that seemed suitable:

Canon Legria HF M300 1080p25 24Mbps, lens 39.5 - 592.5mm
Sony HDRCX550V 64GB SDHC $1929
JVC GZ-HM1S $1999
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:52 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Joseph View Post
Canon Legria HF M300 1080p25 24Mbps, lens 39.5 - 592.5mm
I'd say spend a little bit more and get the HFS11. Given the contact I've had through my write-up (linked earlier in the thread) there appear to be quite a few EX users out there with this camera. It certainly furfils your spec list. The hot shoe is non standard though but all Canon's are like this. However the adaptor linked in my article solves the problem.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
I'd say spend a little bit more and get the HFS11. Given the contact I've had through my write-up (linked earlier in the thread).
Read blog with interest (have HV20 for personal), has the HFS11 been superceded? Not on Canon Australia
EDIT the new equivalent in our market is the HF S20 w/ 1.2.6" CMOS, getting a bit over the $1200 budget, I guess the bigger chip makes all the difference over the 1/4" CMOS or does it?
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:22 AM   #20
Major Player

Not that I am aware. The HFS11 is only a small update on the HFS10 anyway. I believe the only major difference is that it now has twice the internal memory and updated stabilisation. If you are strapped for cash and don't mind last years model the HFS10 can be found at cheaper prices.

Be warned though, there are alot of NTSC models knocking around. Certainly in the UK the less reputable suppliers appear to be importing NTSC models from Japan and selling them at cheaper prices. With your proximity to Japan the situation may be similar and you cannot switch the camera between PAL and NTSC regions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds