DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1R indoor voxpops + Litepanels micro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/483270-ex1r-indoor-voxpops-litepanels-micro.html)

Mark Joseph August 12th, 2010 07:37 AM

EX1R indoor voxpops + Litepanels micro

Well after crashing the camera, and losing a little faith, I've been putting the EX1R to work with PTC and voxpops. Run'n'gun w/ an Rode NTG-1 and LItepanels running manual exposure and 5600kl PP mixture based on BBC and Alister's images are beautiful. Indoors open or near aperture the decreased DoF is really noticeable compared to our HDV Z5Ps.

I'd read about AF being next to useless, tried using the push auto...near disaster, definitely MF a requirement is this respect a big step down from the HDV cam surprisingly and annoyingly distracting as I keep hitting expanded focus double checking myself and in the heat of the moment moving between people just no time to too critical about it - near enough has to do unless keep real consistent distance to subject.

Definitely need the VCT-SB2BP support though - after 25 mins it became heavy, wrangling audio cable in left hand going handheld.

Nick Wilson August 12th, 2010 08:34 AM

If you are not using peaking, try it. The vf looks a mess with blue all over, but it will let you nail the focus without having to use expanded and restrict your field of view.

N

Mark Joseph August 12th, 2010 04:33 PM

I did try it a couple of times but was set to default (white?) Couldn't see squat now I think it can be set to red/blue, but I didn't do that before my shoot b/c I feared it would too distracting for watching exposure.

I now see I will set it to another colour and just toggle as needed. I found even expanded focus wasn't giving me definitive result on the LCD probably because I can't linger too long as I'm watching for movement out of frame etc.

Ed Kukla August 13th, 2010 01:45 PM

what in the heck is a voxpop? A pop singer with one of those voice machines held to the throat?

Bruce Rawlings August 13th, 2010 02:16 PM

The voice of the people. Interviews with people in the street etc.

Kent Beeson August 13th, 2010 07:42 PM

Yeah, VoxPops - It's what they say in the UK TV world for "man in the street" I/V's, and PTC = "piece to camera" which is UK TV-speak for US TV "stand up", or "on Camera" bit.

Hey, and then there's OOV (out of vision) which in US = off camera voice/narr, and "sync" which is US "nat sound" or interview audio, and "ambience" which is US "Room Tone" or tone, and rostrum camera (ken burns affect), and....

(used to live and work in London '89-'95).

Alister Chapman August 16th, 2010 01:26 PM

You can also add VOG (Voice of God) for announcements and game show type voice inserts. "Colour" which is general views for use as cut aways, also known as GV's. Ambience sound is normally called "atmos".

Kent Beeson August 16th, 2010 01:30 PM

You're right, I meant ATMOS (for atmosphere) not Ambience...been 15 years since I lived/worked in London....thanks

KB

Bruce Rawlings August 16th, 2010 03:06 PM

How about NAT SOF - natural sound on film

Leonard Levy August 26th, 2010 12:13 AM

Over here ( west coast USA) I always hear MOS for "man on the street". That really threw me at first because I come from film where MOS is of course - "Mit Out Sound". So it was unsettling to be asked to shoot MOS Interviews- Huh? It still takes me a second to get it.

Vincent Oliver September 25th, 2010 05:57 AM

Or how about "Next" for a really duff actor

Rob Katz September 26th, 2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1562943)
Over here ( west coast USA) I always hear MOS for "man on the street". That really threw me at first because I come from film where MOS is of course - "Mit Out Sound". So it was unsettling to be asked to shoot MOS Interviews- Huh? It still takes me a second to get it.

larry=

i'm w/u.

mos will always be "mit out sound" and all that double system sound entails.

just think, w/the advent of the dvslr, double system sound is back.

ymmv

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Matt Davis September 26th, 2010 12:40 PM

And we can imagine the trouble I got into for labelling my usual tape-based dumping ground the 'Gash Tape' ('gash' is a GB nautical term for rubbish, trash, etc, so your gash tape is where you do a quick dump - oh dear here we go again - 'lay off' of your footage for DVE or whatever).

But back to Original Posting...

VCT-SB2BP - how much?!

Even with EX1, I'm moving backwards from interviewee for voxpops to accentuate bgd blurring, which has made my litepanels micro a bit superfluous. I am far more enamoured with the Dedo 'LEDzilla' which can throw a tight beam over 10 feet to remove panda-eyes, even with a diff and a CTO. It will run off your unused BPU-30 too.

I'm also all for running a reporter mic with the Sennheiser wireless dongle (UK sound guys call it a butt-plug) to avoid all the cable bashing. I handed over my Sanken CS-1 short shotgun in a basket to a (female) client, instead of the usual AKG 230 reporter mic, in a quest for better sound without mic appearing on-screen. She refused to be seen with such a 'dildonic' device (her term).

BTW, I thought MOS was 'Motor Only Sync'?

Mark Joseph October 1st, 2010 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 1573096)
VCT-SB2BP - how much?!

~AUD650.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 1573096)
I'm also all for running a reporter mic with the Sennheiser wireless dongle (UK sound guys call it a butt-plug) to avoid all the cable bashing.

I tried in vain to get the Sony equivalent - we have 10x UWP-V1 Sony UHF kits between 4x camera kits - Dealer said Sony Australia do not import the wireless dongle!
An equivalent Sennheiser kit with dongle was 3x price of the Sony kits - since we were ordering a heap of them the expense wasn't worth it, also had to keep equipment consistent as sometimes non-tech staff have to use the equipment when I not avail to shoot. For live/stage events my workplace has wireless set-up, so usually plug-in a Zoom R16 recorder and get a feed (appalling quality adding second wireless link to get the first wireless signal back to cam)