Buying EX3 on eBay? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying EX3 on eBay?

I have not used eBay before.

Sooner or later I need an EX3 and found a new one on eBay, the bid was $1 400 (!).

I have heard that "When it appears to be too good to be true, it usually is" so what is the catch?

It has to be delivered to Sweden.

Do you have experience of buying from eBay?
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have had at least two occasions with expensive items that were scams. Someone even "borrowed" a camera I was selling and tried to sell it including my pictures of etc. I think you are protected by PAYPAL against such scams. Just NEVER make a bank transfer or anything like that where your money is handed over before the goods are in hand. Good luck, there are sometimes very good deals but as you say "seems to be too good..."
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A brand new EX3 for $1400? You have to ask yourself why it would be selling for so little when it sells for so much at legit retailers.
There is no logical reason other than a scam for it to be such a low price.
Listen to your little voice, you said it yourself. If it sounds too good to be true...

On occassion you will find a really good deal on a camera on ebay but I can't think of anyone that is legitimately going to sell an $8 or $9000 for $1400 brand new OR even used unless it is grey market, stolen, trashed or non-exsistant.
Of course I am one of the most skeptical, cynical people around so it possible this is a legit deal, but if it is please buy 5 or 6 and I'll take 2. (ah, no not really)
If it were me, I would pass but that's just me.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Surely that price makes me suspicious. Stolen or what? But I got some advice on the Internet called sniping - bidding in the last 10 seconds. Exciting.

No, I won´t bid on it. Perhaps only watch the bidding ...

I really need an E3 not until the beginning of next year. Maybe there will be a new camera model by then.

Best to buy some item that is less pricy but also needed, like a better tripod, so I know how to use eBay.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
New Boot

Ebay

When I shopping on Ebay over US$100, First I will check the Feedback Score on upper right hand side. This seller has no record (m******5 ( Feedback Score Of 0 ) ), never bid.

Sverker, find some Top-rated seller, maybe most safety, but not 100%.
Hirata Tomoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

OK a couple of things.

First I don't mean to say that ebay isn't any good. Over the years I've purchased a bunch of stuff from ebay and can honestly say I've never been disappointed or ripped off, but I've always dealt with reputable, high count sellers and always checked the feedback.

Second you say the "bid" on the camera was $1400. Well, if there is no preset starting bid it's very possible that $1400 was the opening bid and you could assume that IF the deal is deemed legit by other bidders the "bid" will go up and probably pretty quickly. Remember if there is no reserve it could sell for $1400 IF thats the highest bid.

Using common sense when dealing with purchasing equipment, whether new or preowned, whether buying from your best friend or ebay or walking into say B&H, is paramount. IOW do some research befroe making the purchase decision, see what the big boys are selling the gear for new, see if they have used and how much they are selling it for, if using ebay look at the number of sales and the feedback of the seller, look at the bids that have been placed, draw your top line of spending, be realistic about that as well as the possiblity of being disappointed with the outcome (meaning you don't win the bidding war) and go from there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds